Thursday, July 23, 2015

granola // a recipe

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. I love it so much I could eat it for lunch and dinner as well - and I sometimes do. One of my favorite breakfast foods is yogurt, although there are just so many different kinds of breakfast foods to enjoy it's nearly impossible to really have a favorite. One thing that really puts yogurt over the top? Adding fresh berries and granola to it. That little crunch makes it ten times better. Yum. Yum. 

So I thought I'd share my go to granola recipe with you all. I've tried a few different ones over the years, but this is my go to recipe for granola. You can pretty much use the first few ingredients as a base and then add whatever you want to it, that's the beauty of granola. Want coconut? add it. Want sunflower seeds? add it. Want raisins? add it. It's up to you! Have fun with it. And by the time the oven is done preheating you have a batch of yummy granola ready to bake. It's super easy, quick, and yummy. Plus, while it bakes your house will smell like you're baking up a really special treat. 


Ingredients:
2 cups oats
1/2 cup honey
2 TBLS oil
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 cup dried fruit [craisins, berries, raisins, diced apricots, diced prunes...]
*optional* 1 cup sliced almonds / coconut / walnuts / sunflower seeds...

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 300.

In a large bowl combine oats, honey, oil, and wheat germ. Once all of those ingredients are combined add died fruit and almonds/coconut/sunflower seeds if desired.

Spread evenly over cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven stir the granola. Stir again 5-10 minutes later. Store in an air tight container.

Tips* 

- I always pour the oil into the measuring cup I use for the honey so the honey pours out smoothly and doesn't stick to the cup.

- Line the cookie sheet with tin foil or a silicone baking mat for easy clean up and to help preserve the life of your cookie sheet.

- Double the recipe if you want it to last a longer before making it again. We go through one of these batches in a matter of days.


Enjoy with milk or fresh fruit and berries!




2 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

This looks good! Thank you for sharing!

Jessica said...

This sounds so delish!!! We love granola - I'd definitely have to double or even triple the recipe for our house:)