Monday, July 20, 2015

rainbow chip icing on a happy birthday

This morning as I was blowing my hair dry [something I haven't done in forever] I heard Emerson exclaim, "Prise!!" [which is surprise, in case you were wondering] all the way from downstairs. Then a few minutes later as I was finishing getting ready I heard him say over and over, "Me need help Mommy open presents." The boy could hardly contain his excitement when he realized there were presents to be opened and cake to be eaten [though not for breakfast].


Last night after I went upstairs Landon stayed up and baked a birthday cake for me. I could smell the sweet flavors all the way upstairs and when I asked him what he was up to he denied doing anything at all. When I came down this morning for breakfast there on the counter was a cake with a little bit of icing on it. He told me he tried to bake it and it kind of got ruined, and icing it was only making the cake crumble even more. I told him it was the thought that counts and I knew the cake would still taste good, the most important part. Then I helped him out by trying to doctor up the cake and ice it as best I could. I absolutely love that he put that much thought and effort into making this day a little more special for me. He also apologized for the little bit of paper from the butter wrapper I found in my piece of cake at lunch time. He is an engineer. And he said it's the though that counts. It gave us both a good laugh and I was just glad it wasn't an egg shell. It was one of the most thoughtful and sweetest cakes I've had.

Tonight we're going to treat ourselves to a meal out for dinner, all four of us and maybe do something else? Go swimming [in our backyard]? Go to the park? Go see the animals? Run some errands? Who knows, but regardless of what it is, or how we spend the rest of this day, I love the the boys I am spending it with. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. I am one blessed and thankful lady. Hopefully this next decade of my life will be just as good, if not better than the last one has been!


3 comments:

Susannah said...

Sounds like a fabulous day!!! <3

tina bumblebee said...

I personally think that cake looks delicious hahaha Happy birthday!

Amy said...

Aww! So special! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!