Thursday, August 27, 2015

nine tips for a healthy pregnancy

Growing a baby in your belly is such a blessing. Those months you carry a baby are precious and go by so quickly, even though at times it may not seem like it. Because it's a special time in your life [and your growing babe's], it's important to take care of yourself and your quickly growing nugget. I am by no means a health fanatic or know it all but, I try to live a healthy lifestyle by eating and doing things I know are good for me. During pregnancy it seemed even more important to try and eat healthy things and exercise as much as I could, though let's be honest, sometimes wasn't all that much. Anyhow, I've put together a little list of things I did during one or both of my pregnancies to help stay healthy.


- stay active. As much as I was able, I tried to continue keeping up with the exercise I had already been doing. That mostly consisted of cardio and a few weight things [I don't even know what they're called - that's how much of a work out fanatic I am. I just do what the hubs suggests when I ask for his help] to an attempt to keep my arms fit and somewhat toned and to help keep my booty from expanding and ripping a hole in my pants. I also did Zumba for a little while at the beginning of my first pregnancy, but stopped after a while because I wasn't sure about all the jumping and such and I couldn't ask the doctor about it for a few months [long story, that I'll spare you]. But I tried to keep up what I had been doing, and at least do some cardio.

- eat healthy foods [or at least try to]. I don't consider myself a person who eats a ton of junk food, though I do love me some Zebra cakes [oh, how I love them], but I also don't consider myself to be a health fanatic. I just try my best to eat foods that I know are good for me. While pregnant I pretty much continued eating like I had before getting pregnant, though I'm sure a few more snacks here and there -especially during the first few months. I didn't eat a tub of ice cream every night before bed and I didn't indulge in eating all of the food because you know, I was eating for two. I did eat a ton of fresh fruit, it's pretty much all I wanted to eat during my pregnancies, but I consider that a good thing.  

- morning sickness. Which of course does not mean you're only sick in the morning. While pregnant with Emerson I felt sick all the time. All day, every day for the first trimester and even into the second trimester. I didn't take any medication for the nausea, I just took it as a good sign that I was carrying a baby and knew that it wouldn't last forever. Even though it felt like it would sometimes. One thing that helped [sometimes] was to eat a light snack -maybe a banana or some peanut butter crackers or something. Or sucking on a hard candy. Not having an empty tummy helped me feel not quiet as sick.

- prenatal vitamins. I took them every day while pregnant and while nursing. I had to take them with food otherwise I'd just be sick, which is never fun. So, prenatals - with food.  

- sleep. Sleep all you can. Feel tired or exhausted? Lay down and take a nap, if you can. Go to bed early, if you can. I'm not a napper, but there was hardly a day that went by that I did not take a nap when I was pregnant with Emerson - especially in the first trimester. Thankfully I was on summer break during that horribly sick and exhausting time and was able to take a nap when I felt tired. And lay on the bathroom floor if need be. With Oliver, I wasn't able to nap as much since I was busy chasing around a toddler [or two], but there were days I'd lay on Emerson's bedroom floor and kind of drift off while he played around me. And I'm pretty sure I was asleep by 8 o'clock each night for well into the second trimester. Had to get my sleep some time. Sleep is good for you and that little baby you're growing.

- drink water. It's always important to drink lots of water, but I feel like when you're pregnant and nursing it's super important to drink a ton of water. I will only drink water if it's ice cold, so I was sure to always have a good [cute] water bottle around. Add ice and cold water and wha-la. Your drink is made.

- go to the doctor. This should go without saying, but I'll still say it: go to the doctor. It's so important to see your doctor while pregnant. It's also fun because you get to hear the little guy's [or gal's] heartbeat.

- continue with your routine. Things don't need to change too much from what your normal was before you were pregnant. I kept working with both pregnancies and just did everything I would have normally done anyway. I realize there may be some restrictions every now and again, but for the most part I just kept living life. I think keeping up with my daily routine and job - be it teaching or staying at home and babysitting - helped keep my mind busy and focused on things other than the baby.

- have fun. This is a rare and short time of your life. You aren't pregnant forever [though sometimes it may feel like you are - especially towards the end of your pregnancy]. For the nine [ten] months you are pregnant you are the only one who gets to enjoy your little baby bean. You get to know your baby before anyone else. It is such a special time; soak up the kicks, jabs, and rolls. Try to enjoy your pregnancy!

What are some things you did to stay healthy during your pregnancy?




No comments: