Tuesday, November 17, 2015

chocolate cake for one : a recipe


Every night after dinner I have to have a little sweet something: a cookie [or let's be honest two or three...], a scoop of ice cream, a cupcake.... something, anything that is sweet. Since I've cut dairy out of my diet it's a little tricker to just grab a cookie to satisfy that sweet craving [which, is really actually probably a good thing]. However, I still needed just a little something something. You know? Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyhow, the other night I was watching the Food Network and saw the recipe for chocolate cake in a mug. Say what?! I eagerly watched and knew that if the Pioneer Woman was sharing this recipe, it would be worth making for sure. I had seen other recipes for single serving cakes, but I just never know about the source. Her? I trust her, so we were good. Plus this would be perfect since I could make it dairy free!


I'm sharing with you my tweaked, dairy free version of her recipe, but if you want the original, you can find it here.

Ingredients: 
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
sprinkle of salt
3 tablespoons almond milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
tiny splash of vanilla

Directions: 
In a microwave safe mug, pour the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined. Add in almond milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir until smooth and creamy. Put the mug in the microwave and cook for 90 seconds. Let cool for a minute or two [if you can wait that long]. Enjoy!


*Let's just ignore the poor quality photos and focus on the fact that this is dairy free chocolate cake in a mug! ...of course when I went to take the pictures my camera battery died and I'm too impatient to wait for it to charge, so this what we get ;) 


You'll have to let me know if you try it and what you think of it if you do! I think it's a keeper of a recipe and I know it's one I'll be making on repeat for a long long time. The cake is just enough chocolate and the perfect amount of creamy. This recipe makes enough for one person to enjoy - but I've found that I've been able to make it last as two or three after dinner desserts. Although, I'm pretty sure I could eat the whole mug full in one sitting if I really wanted to. 



2 comments:

Laura said...

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)

Amy said...

Yum!!