Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Oliver / five month update


Where have the last five months gone?! Or the last 12 for that matter. I don't know how it's already November! I feel like I was just sharing the news of our pregnancy and now we have a happy little five month old nugget to love on each and every day. Oh good gracious. These last five months have been filled with all of the emotions, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love that I get to spend my days with this little guy [and his big brother :].


This is one of the ages I love so much! Their little personality really starts to shine through and you can see how much they are learning! And they are still small enough to take everywhere with you and not cause a ruckus [well, most of the time ;].


Oliver, you are such a happy and chill little guy. You are so content to just hang out and watch whatever is going on around you. You are growing and learning each and every day and your sweet personality is really showing up even more!


When we went in for your four month check up you rolled over from your belly to back for the very first time! Although, you haven't really been too keen on repeating it much since then. I know before long you'll be rolling across the room so I'm not too worried and am happy that you are still a pretty immobile baby. haha. Yesterday you rolled over from your back to your belly for the first time, and have been trying to repeat that roll, but so far it's just been the once. You do like to roll, but for now it's pretty much from your back to your side.


You love putting things in your mouth. Pretty much anything you can get your hands on goes into your mouth and you gnaw on it nonstop. You have a few favorite toys: a little football, your giraffes, and a little teething ring, but you're happy to hold anything you can get your hands on. You're concentrating a lot on an item I put in front of you too; if I hold a toy within your reach your eyes focus in on it and you reach your little arms out to grab it.


This month I don't have exact stats for you, but I do know your height from your 4 month check up is wrong. The nurse told me you were 33 inches long! I thought that sounded crazy long for you, but I didn't have her double check and didn't check when I got home. After talking with a friend who has a 11 month old and said her baby was 29 inches long, I was quick to check your length at home and you measured around 22 inches. But I don't know for sure, you're kind of wiggly these days. When we went in to the doctor while you were sick you weighed about 15 pounds. You are still wearing size 2 Pampers Swaddlers and are wearing 3 - 6 month clothing. Your sleepers are all 6 month, but you still wear a lot of 3 month sized clothing.


You're sleeping pretty well at night still, for which I am oh so grateful. Lately you've been going down around 8 or so and will usually wake once during the night to eat. Though your waking time varies from 12 - 3. You have slept through the night multiple times, but right now you're up to eat once. Hopefully one day in the not too distant future you'll be sleeping through the night again. Not that I'm complaining - you are a champion sleeper! Nap times are a little bit different. You get sleepy about an hour to an hour and a half after eating at which point you'll nap for a little bit. Sometimes it's a 30 minute nap and sometimes it's an hour long. It varies. A lot. In the afternoon you tend to take a little bit of a longer nap, though you usually wake once or twice during that time. I just pop your paci back in your mouth and rock you back to sleep. A few times you've taken really good naps without waking at all ... maybe you'll do that constantly one day soon? You are still sleeping in the rock n play and are sill in our room. Though, once you start rolling with easy, you'll be moving to the pack n play. Since you go to sleep later than Emerson and wake during the night, we're not ready to put you in your shared room with him. That will be a transition for another day .... yikes.



We are still exclusively nursing and I am still hoping and praying we make it to one year before we stop. Right now you eat about every three hours, although there are times you'll go a little bit longer. But I can always count on three hours between feedings so that's nice. I'm not sure if you're becoming a faster eater or not; sometimes you'll eat and be done in 20 minutes or less but then sometimes you'll take longer and eat for 30 - 40 minutes. That can sometimes make it hard for me to know if you are really done eating or not. I like consistency and you just seem to go with the flow, which I suppose is not a bad thing. You seem to be fairly sensitive to the foods I eat however, so that can make for a not so fun nursing time. Sometimes you'll eat just fine and others you'll cry and scream and refuse to eat. You have been sick for the past few weeks, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm also trying to figure out what other foods I eat that make your tummy hurt; I hate that your tummy upsets you so much [and so easily!]. Right now I think beans are not okay for you and maybe eggs aren't either. I'm not sure. We're still testing that out. We are still avoiding dairy at all costs as well as corn and tomatoes. When you take a bottle you usually eat about 3-4 ounces, though once or twice you've eaten 5 or 6. Today at Bible class you only ate 1 1/2 ounces, but I guess that's all you wanted and were happy to wait until the next feeding for more.



This past month you've had bronchiolitis and it has not been fun. You have been so congested, had a terrible cough, and congestion and rattling in your chest. Poor baby. It seems as though you are finally on the mend and we are so thankful! There were some pretty scary nights - you'd wake coughing but end up choking for a while because there was so much mucus that couldn't get out. So scary! I took you to the doctor twice during that time but both times there was nothing they could do other than what we were already doing: humidifier, inclined sleeping position, nasal aspirator, and nasal saline drops. But the doctor we went to see was really nice and didn't think I was crazy for bringing you in twice in a two week time frame. I'm glad you're feeling better!


Favorites: bath time, watching your brother - you think he's pretty silly, mama [such a mama's boy - and I love it!], daddy's silly faces, being held, holding toys/anything, putting things in your mouth, talking to people, looking at your cute little baby self in the mirror, playing on your play mat, sitting up, standing up, trying to watch the tv [or any screen].


Dislikes: getting nasal saline drops, when I use the nasal aspirator [you hate that thing], not being held while I'm fixing dinner, not being part of family meal times - you like to sit in my lap and be part of what's going on, being in the carseat for too long.


You are such a sweet, happy, and good little baby! Everywhere we go people comment on how happy and cute you are. After the sermon on Sunday the man behind us commented on how happy you were and how you just "talked" to him during the service. Your Bible class teachers missed you while you were sick, and commented on just how happy and easy going you are. We are beyond blessed to have you in our family. I'm so thankful you made me your mama. I pray that you are blessed with discernment, wisdom, compassion, and that you love and respect others. I pray that you grow to know, love, seek, and severe Christ with your whole heart all of your days. You are the best little blessing and I love you so very much.




3 comments:

Courtney said...

He is so sweet! I still love your pokey eater. Mabel is done in ten minutes tops lol. I can't believe our babies are getting so big so fast. It makes me want to cry! We're totally in the baby age sweet spot- interactive and cute but totally immobile :p

Laura said...

He's a darling little squish! :)

Amy said...

Ahh! He is so sweet! In a couple of those pictures with that big grin, he sure looks like his big brother!