Monday, December 28, 2015

an extended visit with family

I've been keeping a little secret for a few weeks now - we have been gone from home for the past two weeks. It's kind of tricky to keep that a secret, but some how I managed, and if you suspected I wasn't home, thanks for not asking :) 

On the evening of Friday, December 11, we packed our bags and loaded our car and drove to Kentucky. Landon had a conference in San Fransisco the following week and I wasn't too keen on staying home by myself [with the boys]. So we planned for me to stay with his parents while he was away. When his conference was over, he joined us for the week leading up to Christmas. 




We did a lot and a lot of nothing at the same time. The boys were constantly entertained and looked after [not that they aren't at home...]. On the days Landon's parents had to work, Emerson waited very eagerly for them to come home so he could play with them and run around getting away with everything.


One thing I had wanted to do with Emerson was bake some cookies. And while we only kind of made them, he had a lot of fun decorating the cookies and then, ultimately, eating them.


We did a lot of the same things we do at home: read books, play games, play with toys, eat, sleep [or not sleep if your name happens to be Emerson or Oliver], and spend time visiting with grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, and uncles. It was a special treat to be able to see family for such an extend amount of time.



The hardest part about being away from home [especially for so long] was the sleeping situation. Nearly every time Emerson went down for a nap or bed, he would run out of his room crying or just laughing about how he wasn't tired and didn't need to sleep. There were some times I had to put him back in his bed a dozen or more times. Not fun. But he eventually fell asleep and usually stayed asleep [but not always]. Oliver was sick while we were there so he had trouble sleeping too. Which in turn meant little sleep for me and a lot of co-sleeping, which is something I rarely do. 


Apart from sleeping, it was a good time and I'm glad we were able to see family and spend quality time with them.


3 comments:

Ashley Brickner said...

I swear lack of sleep is the hardest part of being a parent! Your boys are precious!!!

Amy said...

What a fun break from the normal, everyday gig. Although, the no sleeping part is no fun. We will get it back, right?

Living out of Wedlock said...

I love spending time at family's like this,looks like the boys loved it!