Thursday, December 31, 2015

Four Christmases

This Christmas was our first Christmas as a family of four! It was such a special holiday and I loved celebrating the birth of our Savior with my sweet little boys. Each year just get better and better and it was so sweet watching the wonder of the holiday through the eyes of my little guys. 

On the afternoon of Christmas Eve we drove over to my sister's in-law's house [we both married guys from the same town, which is no small feat considering we aren't even from that area ... maybe I'll share that story another day :] to see  my sister, her husband, and her kiddos. We hung out for a little while, chatted for a bit, exchanged gifts, and enjoyed seeing each other for a bit. Then we headed back to Landon's parent's house so we could get the boys down for their naps. 


Oliver fell asleep in the car and I just let him nap in his carrier once we got to the house. Emerson was on the verge of falling asleep in the car, but we annoyed him so much and kept talking to him so he would stay awake until we got home. Then we promptly laid him down for a nap and prayed he would fall asleep and take a good nap. Thankfully he did just that, as did Oliver. While they napped I made some cinnamon sugar donut muffins [so good!] so I could make sure I had a little treat for after dinner. Both boys slept until Landon's dad's side of the family arrived and had been visiting for a little while already. Once Oliver woke up I fed him and then we went outside [outside?!] for a family picture. We spent the rest of the evening eating, opening gifts, visiting, watching basketball - until I put on 'Elf', and rocking babies to sleep. It was a full day full of family and lots of love. 

of course Emerson would have the goofiest face ever in this picture! 

I love this family and am so thankful I get to be a part of it! 

Since the boys weren't sleeping very well while we were at Landon's parent's house we did what ever it took to get them to actually sleep. This meant Landon sleeping in one room with Emerson and Oliver sleeping in a different room with me - in his bed for the first part of the night and next to me for the second half of the night. My Christmas Eve wish had been for Oliver to sleep well that night, and thankfully he did! I felt like I even slept in a little bit on Christmas morning; eight o'clock was a beautiful time to wake up. Once we were all up and breakfast had started baking and Landon's Granny and Papaw came over, we opened gifts with Landon's family. 



It was so much fun watching Emerson open his gifts. He was so excited that he could finally open the gifts he'd been eyeing under the tree for the past two weeks. The day before he'd been able to open a few gifts and was ready to put that practice to good use Christmas morning. He was thrilled to bits that he could rip the paper off of packages and find treasures beneath. Each time he got the paper off the box he was unwrapping, he would hold the box up to me and ask for help opening the box. Then he'd ask, "Whad id gonna be?!" before he took the top of the box off. Every gift he had the same little question. So sweet! It was so much fun watching him enjoy his Christmas. He opened all of his gifts in record time and was eager to help Oliver open his... and anyone else who had a present to open. In his excitement and hurry to get all the presents open right.now. a few smaller gifts were temporarily lost - thank goodness they were found later! 



Once all of the gifts were open, Oliver was ready for his morning nap. I laid him down and by the time I had him down breakfast was ready. Christmas breakfast has become one of my favorite meals -even more so than Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinners. Landon's mom makes so many delicious breakfast foods: biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, breakfast casserole with ham, cheese, and corn flakes, and other equally delicious things. I love them all and eat way more than I should.  This year for Christmas breakfast was the closest I ever came to crying over food. My breakfast was toast and scrambled eggs [because I'm still going strong on the dairy, soy, nut, and corn free diet Oliver has me on]. If we had been home I could have made some dairy free options for me, but with all they food they had and lack of "special" ingredients, it was just tricky. Two eggs and two pieces of toast was not the meal I was looking forward to. An hour or so after everyone had finished breakfast I ate some of the muffins I'd made the night before for my dessert. In reality, they are probably much better than cinnamon rolls or donuts, so it's all good.  



Breakfast was eaten quickly and then the dishes cleaned up just as fast. A few nights before I had put some gingerbread houses together for Emerson to decorate. He had decorated one gingerbread house the week before with his Papaw and Auntie Lauren; after it was finished his Papaw requested that we get another kit for him so he and Emerson could do another one. So we pulled out the houses and got to work decorating them. Emerson ended up eating most of the candies and frosting that was there for decorations, but he had fun doing it and it was fun to help him decorate the houses again.



Eventually Landon's grandparents went back to their house and it was time for lunch - though, I'm pretty sure Emerson and I were the only ones who actually ate lunch. Everyone else was full from breakfast and saving space for the big dinner later on. Both the  boys went down for naps [at the same time!] and we enjoyed some quiet rest time as well. 


Once nap time was over, we got ready to go to one of Landon's aunt's house to celebrate Christmas with his mom's side of the family. There was more food, lots of family, gifts, and visiting. We headed out before everyone else, with Emerson's crazy sleeping habits I wanted to make sure he got to bed [sleep] at a reasonable hour. And Oliver was hungry and sleepy too. Even though we left a little early, it was still fun visiting with family and celebrating another Christmas gathering. 


And then, just like that Christmas was over. ... except, it wasn't for us. We still had our own Christmas to celebrate once we got home, but I'll save that Christmas for another day. This way I don't have to say good bye to all things Christmas yet - I'll let it linger just a little bit longer, even if we are welcoming the New Year tonight! 



2 comments:

Amy said...

Those family pictures are adorable! What a full Christmas you had! We had to go to both sides Christmas day, so we did our own Christmas on Saturday, the 26th, too. :)

Sparkles and Lattes said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas holiday. Your boys are so cute!!