Friday, December 4, 2015

sleep training, Christmas, and food allergies

Today I had a somewhat unexpected shorter work day. I found out yesterday that I would only be babysitting a half day today and then Bee's dad showed up even earlier than he'd planned so our morning was short and [mostly] sweet. Just a few fits and tears. And since I have a few minutes to myself, I came to one of  my happy places [that's here in case you were wondering :]. Today I'll be sharing a few "random" things because it's Friday and that's what I like to do. 


one // sleep training? 
I basically ruined Oliver. In hind sight I would have done things differently... but since I can't go back and redo what's already been done we're right where we are. From the very start Oliver was an amazing sleeper. I was actually able to get some sleep at night and not go through my days like a zombie. At the hospital he slept in the basinet they provided and when we got home, since I wanted him close by, I put him to sleep in the rock n play. The good ol' rock n play. It was the only thing that helped Emerson sleep when he was a baby, we had it, so I figured why not use it for Oliver too? So I did. And he continued to sleep great. But now it is time to start transitioning him out of the rock n play and into his crib [aka pack n play]. We didn't do it sooner for a few reasons: travel, he was a newborn, he was always congested... it was put off. And now the poor boy is having to learn how to sleep on a flat surface. With his already kind of spastic naps it just makes things a whole lot tricker. I think a big part of it is that he likes the close feeling; he still likes to be swaddled, though he nearly always breaks free these days. Know of a magical swaddle blanket? Hopefully he catches on soon and nights go smoothly. Any tips or helpful ideas are more than welcome at this point. And are in fact encouraged! :] 


two // one more week 
There is basically only one more week until Christmas! Okay, okay. There's more than that, but with the way things are going at my house and how it feels, I'm pretty sure there's only one week left until Christmas. Which is just nuts-o. 

three // sweater 
Umm, I just saw this and decided I needed it. hah. Thanks, Alisha ;) But really, why do all the cute things come out at the same time? 



four // craft time 
With Christmas quickly approaching I've been working on a few crafts with the kids. So far it's only been the bigger kiddos, but I have a few crafts in mind for Oliver to do as well, I really need to get my act together and work on the crafts a little bit more so we can actually get them finished! 

five // dairy, nut, and soy free
Oliver has still been congested so I decided to cut out all nuts and soy [aka: the good things] out of my diet. I've been dairy free for a while now, but am trying so desperately to figure out the cause of his congestion so I decided to cut all nuts, soy, and eggs out of my diet and see if that helps. Since eliminating these things from my diet I've been reading labels like it my job and eating a more healthy diet since most processed foods has one or all of those things in them. I've also cut out corn in all forms and tomatoes. Apparently he has a sensitive tummy. But, we're hoping we'll figure it out in a few weeks and his congestion will clear up completely. Please, Jesus!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend! 


4 comments:

kelseylynae said...

Oh yes, the swaddling fight. We used this https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pTLSGJW6x8AnbwunIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIyYmlsM3E4BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMyZjdmYjhkMGM1ZTUyZDYxNTgyZTgxYjAwOGMzYTBiYgRncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dmiracle%2Bblanket%2Bswaddle%2Bblankets%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-001%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=500&h=387&imgurl=babycottagegifts.com%2Fimages%2Flarge%2FMiracleBlanketDemo.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbabycottagegifts.com%2Fitem_695%2FMiracle-Blanket-Baby-Swaddling-Blanket.htm&size=21.3KB&name=%3Cb%3EMiracle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBlanket%3C%2Fb%3E+-Baby+%3Cb%3ESwaddling%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBlanket%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Emiracle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eblanket%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eswaddle%3C%2Fb%3E+...&p=miracle+blanket+swaddle+blankets&oid=2f7fb8d0c5e52d61582e81b008c3a0bb&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&tt=%3Cb%3EMiracle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBlanket%3C%2Fb%3E+-Baby+%3Cb%3ESwaddling%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBlanket%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Emiracle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eblanket%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eswaddle%3C%2Fb%3E+...&b=0&ni=21&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12f5d0ks1&sigb=14quilmod&sigi=11on1755h&sigt=13k95bhk5&sign=13k95bhk5&.crumb=.MlcLkXzJg7&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&fr2=piv-web&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla

Holy cow that is a long link. Sorry. It is seriously like a baby straight jacket. But we used that for awhile with Becks because she would get out of hers too and wake herself up. And then eventually I just got sick of swaddling and I swaddled her one arm out for a day. Two arms out the next few days, and then just stopped. I did this at the same time we let her cry it out and broke her of the swaddle/ got her to sleep on her own. It took about a week. And then with both my girls once we did that they napped long and consistently and slept through the night.

I've also heard good things about the magic sleep suit. It looks ridiculous but some people swear by it and can't believe they didn't get it sooner!

Good luck! :)

Jessica (The Newly) said...

Goodness, I hope you can figure out what's going on with poor Oliver soon, or you might be starving, mama!!! Vivian is 7 months now, and we have just now - within the last 2 or 3 weeks - been able to transition her to her crib. It went really smoothly, so hoping the same for you!

Finally, GET that shirt! I have it and it is GREAT!:) I love it. It's thick and the texture is fun and comfy. And it washes and even dries like a dream. Perfection!

Alisha said...

That shirt is seriously the best. I am in LOVE with it and wear it all.the.time.

Poor mama and Oliver. :( I would love to hear how you are meal planning on that diet as I may have to transition to the same thing for health reasons for me. I would love some insight.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

#2? I completely agree. Not enough time!
I love that sweater, too!
My baby was a huge fan of the rock 'n play. When we made the transition (he was also a bit older), I had to snuggle him up in a swaddling blanket for the first few weeks to get him used to the flat surface and open space. Maybe try that miracle sleep suit that everyone swears by! Wishing you lots of luck!