Monday, January 25, 2016

a celebration weekend

This weekend I kept seeing pictures of piles of snow and hearing from friends where we used to live about how much snow they were getting. We got none of it, which makes me a little sad. I like a good snow and feel like you need a really good snow each winter. I would love for there to be a big snow here before the winter is over.

Even though we didn't get any new snow, we enjoyed the snow we had from a few days prior and we enjoyed spending time with Landon's parents who were in for a visit. They came in on Thursday night instead of the originally planned Friday afternoon because they were fearful that if the waited too long the snow would start coming and not let them come for a visit at all. Friday morning when Emerson woke up I told him GiGi and Poppy were here and he was so excited. I still had to babysit on Friday, but Emerson [and Bee] were happy to have more people to play with. I had planned to bake Emerson's birthday cake on Friday morning during Oliver's nap while the big kids played with play dough. As it turned out GiGi and Poppy said they would be happy to play with them both while I went upstairs to work on his birthday stuff. I got to bake uninterrupted for the first time in a long time, it was really nice and oh so relaxing to enjoy baking in the calm of the morning. I kind of felt bad for leaving the kids downstairs, but not bad enough and the cake had to be made. I think everyone enjoyed how the morning ended up going.

That evening we decided to go out for dinner and then come back to the house for birthday cake and some presents. It was a nice dinner out and then Emerson stayed up a little past his bedtime, playing with his gifts and Poppy and GiGi, which he seemed to enjoy very much.



Saturday morning I made baked oatmeal for breakfast and then we headed out to run some errands. Landon and his dad were going to Lowe's to get some lumber to fix our bed and his mom went with me and the boys to Ulta and then the grocery store. On our way to the store Emerson asked where we were going and I told him the beauty store, to which he replied, "Me no like butey tore." Smart boy. I had a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase, which is like buy one good nail polish get one free - so I got two and helped Landon's mom pick some nail polish of her own. Then we headed to meet Landon and his dad and get some groceries. Fun fact: our grocery bill was $60.77 our savings from that grocery trip was $80.98. Snap. That made me sooooo happy. Yay for saving money! And since we were already out and Oliver was snoozing away, we made a quick stop at Kohl's [I had some Kohl's cash and had to use it]. I was able to walk around by myself for a little bit while GiGi pushed a napping Oliver around and Emerson went to see some "animals" at Field and Stream with Landon and his dad. We headed home for lunch and naps. While the boys napped I cleaned my desk and night table out and folded some laundry.

We went out for dinner again that night and when we got to the restaurant were told it would be a 30 minute wait. Not ideal, but doable. We ended up waiting for over an hour before we were seated. It was not so good. Thankfully the boys did pretty well, even though they were both hungry and don't like to sit still for long. During dinner, Emerson ate and ate and ate. He ate so much food! While I was eating my meal I noticed how quite it was - he was so busy eating he didn't have time to talk. haha. he usually doesn't eat food we order for him when we go out, but he ate nearly all of his chicken nuggets, french fries, some salad, biscuits, and the cookie and ice cream dessert he got for his birthday! Holy goodness. It was kind of wonderful. After we got home [much later than anticipated] and the boys were in bed, we watched "Saving Mr. Banks." It was a really good movie. I feel like there are so many hit or misses when it comes to the movie world. But this one was really good! Funny, a little sad, entertaining, wholesome, good plot, and character development. All of us really liked it, which is saying something because I'm pretty sure in the two and a half years we've lived here and had Landon's parents visit us, there have been one or two movies that we've watched that have been good.



I was short an ingredient for the apple bake I was going to fix for breakfast on Sunday, so we had cereal and toast. hah. We decided to hang out at the house that morning so Landon's parents could spend as much time with the boys as possible. We weren't planning on going anywhere, but then Emerson's diaper pail broke [and we need a diaper pail - pee eww!] so Landon and I went on a "date" to Target to get a diaper pail and a few other things. Romantic, huh? Though it was nice to have some one on one time with Landon and talk without being interrupted. If we had gone out to eat I don't know where we would have gone [everyone puts dairy in everything - it's really easier to eat at home] anyway. It was a nice way to spend the morning and the store was deserted at such an early hour, which I always love.

We were planning to have lunch together, but Landon's parents needed to leave at the same time Oliver needed to eat. So they all went out for lunch and I stayed home with Oliver for a little one on one time. It was so quite, just me and the little babe. Our day ended with naps, dinner, and play time.

It was a fun weekend celebrating our little three year old and it was nice to spend time with family.

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend [snow or no snow]!




7 comments:

Amy said...

What a full but fun weekend! So glad that Emerson had a great birthday weekend!

Sparkles and Lattes said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. And happy birthday to Emerson.

Living out of Wedlock said...

Butey tore! That is hilarious! That is a good deal though! I kind of felt the same about the snow. Something about being snowed in, sledding, and then getting warm and watching movies sounded so good!

Living out of Wedlock said...

Butey tore! That is hilarious! That is a good deal though! I kind of felt the same about the snow. Something about being snowed in, sledding, and then getting warm and watching movies sounded so good!

Laura Darling said...

What a fun weekend! Kohl's cash is the best! And I hope you get a good snow before the winter ends!

Ashley Brickner said...

What a fun weekend. Happy birthday Emerson!!!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

What a fun birthday weekend, but such a bummer not to get snow. I'm hoping that we can get some before the winter is over. It's such a rarity down here, so we aren't counting on it! Lol.