Tuesday, January 5, 2016

a year in review [part one]

Happy New Year to you! I hope you enjoyed a weekend full of fun and family and anything else you are hoping for. We rang in our New Year a little bit early with a glass of sparkling cider and then headed to bed. It wasn't too long before I was up and welcoming the new year with Oliver, so I like to think it was a good way to welcome the year.


The past few years I've written a year in review post at the beginning [or end] of each year and I wanted to be sure to do the same thing again this year. I always enjoy looking back over the past year and seeing how our days were filled. My intention was to get the whole year in one post, but after working on it for a while, I decided to break it into two posts. This one is part one of our year in review.


January 
We started the year off with a bang and made our first trip to urgent care with Emerson after he bust his chin open. It was so scary, but he was so brave through it all. He left the doctor with seven stitches on his chin and we ended up with a long cuddle session that evening, so it was all good. Right?

A few weeks later we found out that we were going to be adding another boy to our family!


We also celebrated Emerson's second birthday and I made some fun barn yard friend cupcakes.




February 
We welcomed the month with a big snow and Emerson went sledding for the first time.


Emerson started sleeping in a big boy bed in January, and finally got around to sharing some pictures of his new little set up.

One morning I found out I had an unexpected day off and Emerson and I enjoyed a day to ourselves.

We also celebrated a very low key Valentine's Day. It was a quiet little month full of snow and cozy blankets.



March 
A friend had told me about and invited me to go with her to a women's conference. It was a day long event and I went and had a day to myself [well, sans the boys].

The snow kept coming and in March we finally built a snowman!


We started attending a small group and were so thankful from the start at how welcoming the other couples and families were. One afternoon I was treated to lunch by our new leader's wife and she also brought a little gift for baby boy.

For our Spring Break we decided to go visit some family in Kentucky and while we were there we went to the zoo with my sister and her kids.


While on Spring Break we also spent a lot of time at the farm and saw a lot of different animals.  Emerson even got to ride drive his Papaw's tractor and four wheeler for the first time too.



April 
The month started with putting an Easter basket together for Emerson for him to find and enjoy a few days later.

Easter came early [or so it seemed] and we celebrated our last Easter as a family of three. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed celebrating our Risen Savior.



I shared how I was continuing to struggle with our move and finding peace and contentment in the midst of our every day.

Emerson officially started potty training  and taking him to the potty and cleaning up after him has basically taken over our my life since then. Fun times.

I shared some more baby bump posts -  30 weeks and 32 weeks. The pregnancy was flying by!



May 
We celebrated a very quiet Mother's Day - my last one with just one little person. That same weekend the ladies in our small group surprised me with a little baby shower to celebrate the soon arrival of our baby boy!

While playing one morning, Emerson fell and bumped his head so badly that we had to rush him to urge care [again]. He was so good and so brave while we were there and he left with three staples in his head. Good gracious.

I shared some of my thoughts and concerns regarding trying for a VBAC or having a repeat cesarian.


Emerson and I had a little day to ourselves and I soaked it up because I knew the days of just the two of us were numbered.


June 
We started the month out trying to do as much as we could as a family of three. We knew it wouldn't be too long before it would be a little tricker to get out and wanted to take full advantage of our days together. One way we did that was by going to a little safety fair of sorts and a friend's birthday party.


The pregnancy with Oliver lasted longer than mine with Emerson did; the little guy was content to just stay put, so I greeted week 39 of my pregnancy.

After a doctor's appointment and a lot of prayer, I decided to have a repeat cesarian.

Before Oliver was born I shared some of my thoughts about the upcoming change - how our lives would be forever different - how it would no longer just be Emerson. I'm so glad I wrote those thoughts down and shared my heart before a baby came along and made our lives even more wonderful.


Then, on the morning of June 10th, Oliver Flynn decided to join our family and let us love on him.


Somehow I was able to share Oliver's birth story here and here.

I also shared about the first time Emerson and Oliver got to meet each other. It was love from the start.


... and that's just the first half of the year! Whew! After that it just got better. But, I'm saving that part for tomorrow.



4 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy New Year, Hannah, and thanks so much for dropping by my little blog! Your boys are so darn precious...isn't being a boy momma so wonderful?! I love their names, by the way :)

Laura Darling said...

It's always so fun to look back on the previous year! Happy New Year to your family, I hope 2016 holds great things for you!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I love reading everyone's year in review posts. You guys had such a full first half of the year and I can't wait to read about the rest! I'm so glad that you found my blog and I can't wait to follow along with yours!

Amy said...

What a busy first part of your year! I love being able to say "I remember that & that & that." :) I can't believe Emerson is going to be 3 soon!