Wednesday, January 27, 2016

minion birthday cake

Growing up my mom always made us a birthday cake for our birthday. We got to pick what kind of cake we wanted and she would bake it for us and then hide it until it was time to eat after dinner/lunch [whenever we were going to have cake time]. She would decorate it too, sometimes it would be a simple "Happy 8th Birthday, Hannah!" written on top and sometimes it would be more - like when my sister and I helped her decorate my brother's cake with legos [it was awesome!]. But it was always a cake of our choosing. And it was always special. 


So naturally, when it comes time to birthdays, I want to make a cake - and decorate it too. Landon usually picks a boring cake [ie. one that cannot be decorated], but with Emerson? He's just a little guy so I decided to make the most of it.


For his first birthday I made a winter wonderland cake - with a January birthday I thought it'd be a fun little theme. I loved it. He didn't really even seem to care. One year olds...

By the time Emerson turned two he was showing more interest in some things more than others, so I made him farm animal cupcakes because he loved all of the farm animals. I still think those were my favorite.


But this year? This year Emerson really has likes and dislikes and he lets me know what they are. I asked him about his cake and we looked at pictures of cakes together. From the beginning he was all about having a minion birthday cake. So that's what I did.


I'm not a professional baker [though I'd love to be] or cake decorator [obviously] and I could use a lot more practice, but I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with how the minion cake turned out. I try to look past the little imperfections on his cake and just focus on the fact that they are minions and that Emerson loved his cake. Because in the end, that's what really matters. Not only did the toppers turn out like I had hoped, the cake turned out wonderfully this year - perfectly light and fluffy!


I had so much fun working on this cake for him. Hopefully next year he doesn't pick something super tricky to create. Though, if he does, I'll have a little more opportunity for practicing my skills. There is a certain little baby boy [that I'm not going to name in hopes of it prolonging his birthday a bit] that I know will be in need of a cake all too soon!



7 comments:

Jessica (The Newly) said...

Such a cute cake! A perfect little birthday cake for a sweet little 3 year old! And I am VERY impressed with your cake skills, mama. I could never do that!

Living out of Wedlock said...

I love it! You are really good at cakes! Love the little minions!

Living out of Wedlock said...

I love it! You are really good at cakes! Love the little minions!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe that you MADE this! It looks fantastic! I cannot imagine how long it must have taken... this is definitely bakery quality, though. You should go into business. :o)

Sparkles and Lattes said...

You did such an amazing job on the cake. All of the cakes/cupcakes through the years look great. I bet it tasted good too. Good job!!!

Amy said...

Girl, if you were closer I'd hire you! You did an ahhh-mazing job! Seriously, I'd pay for that!

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

Yes! I have the same exact memories and do the same exact thing for my kids. You did a wonderful job on this!