Monday, January 11, 2016

scenes from the weekend

Hello and happy Monday to you! Oh, the start of another week, let's hope it's a good one :) This weekend I got a lot done. Although, one of the things I was planning on doing [taking seven month pictures of Oliver], I kind of remembered - and then forgot to do. #momfail. So, instead of sharing his seven month update today, it will be postponed until tomorrow. I can only hope he forgives me for posting a little late.

So for now, I'll just share some scenes from our weekend. I feel like we did a lot, but we also got to enjoy some quiet time as a family. The best kind of weekend, right? We were out of baby food so on Friday evening I took the boys and headed to Target where we walked around for a little bit [and thankfully, I remembered to get the baby food I went there to get. hah].  


Emerson has recently given up [happily I might add] his place in the front of the shopping cart for Oliver to sit up there and keep me company. He's still a little wobbly sometimes, but he really doesn't seem to mind and makes himself pretty comfortable.


Obviously.

When he nodded off to sleep I thought he looked too cute to wake up, so I let him take a little nap. I kept telling myself to "wake him up! Don't let him sleep!" But he was cute and Emerson was being good and I was enjoying myself as I walked the aisles at Target, so I let him nap. Big mistake. We both paid for it later when it was time for him to go to bed and he just wouldn't go to sleep. That darn evening nap... He's been doing much better when it comes to sleeping and bedtime and all [more on that in his update], but when I let him take that little nap it gave him just enough energy to stay awake and not want to sleep that night. At all. Oh well I suppose. 


Saturday morning we went grocery shopping and I tried to find a few things I could actually eat. I feel like it just got exponentially more challenging for me to find anything [good] to eat. All dairy and gluten free recipes are welcome. Please and thank you.

A few days before I had mentioned to Landon that I was thinking about reorganizing our kitchen cabinets to make it more space efficient. We have a small kitchen with limited counter and storage space. While it's more than we had in our first apartment, it's a lot less than we had in our old house [oh how I miss that house and our old kitchen], but it is what it is and I do my best to make it work [first world problems, I know]. So while unloading the groceries Landon suggested I might as well do the reorganizing while I was putting everything away. So, I pulled everything out of the cabinets and did a lot of rearranging and some throwing away of old items and half way through I thought to take a picture. If I remember I'll take an after picture in a day or two and give a little comparison. At one point while I was doing this Emerson walked into the kitchen and dropped his jaw at the mess it was. I said, "What is Mommy doing?!" to which he responded, "I don't know either." Anyhow, it was super fun and now I'm all kinds of giddy about my "new" kitchen. It's more functional and much more space efficient.


Saturday afternoon while the boys napped I did a little cleaning and looked for recipes of meals I could fix for us. I also looked for a gluten free cake recipe I could make for Emerson's birthday. It's coming up and I wanted to do a trial cake before I actually made it. After a lot of looking I found a few things and realized I needed more ingredients. But, before I could sneak out of the house they woke up and we hung out together for the rest of the evening at home. While I was cleaning up the dinner dishes Oliver sat and played at the table and every time I looked back at him he had the biggest grin for me. I love that boy. 


On Sunday morning we were actually on time for church! I was going to leave the boys at home and run to the grocery store to grab a few things, but Oliver had fallen asleep and Emerson wanted to go with me, so off we went and let Landon get some work done in the peace and quiet of an empty house. 


We found what I needed and then went home to make lunch. Once lunch was over, there was a little bit of time before Emerson's nap time so he helped me make the cake. Though, it was soon evident that he was in need of a nap, as was Oliver, so I put them down and then finished up on my own. I know I probably shouldn't say it, but I really like baking and cooking with out the "help" of my sweet littler helper. I know I need to encourage his helpful spirit, so I do try to, but it is so hard for me to be all, "Okay! You can dump and pour and mix whatever to your hearts content." But I keep letting him help me because I know it's good for both of us.



While the cake was baking and the boys were napping, I finally got around to taking our Christmas decorations down. I had found a big red bin on sale and got it so all of our Christmas decorations would go in one box instead of five. It was nice to have all of our decorations and ornaments all neat, nestled, and tidy in one red bin. I even got everything put away in the closet.

The boys woke up and we FaceTimed with some family, played, read books, and then I started dinner. Later on, as I was getting Oliver ready for bed, I heard Landon reading to Emerson downstairs. After a while I heard Landon coming upstairs, but I didn't hear the quick pitter patter of Emerson's constantly running feet. I looked up and saw him fast asleep on his daddy. Melt my heart. Landon changed Emerson into his pajamas and put him to bed then came and told me that while they were downstairs Emerson had told him, "I want to cuddle, Daddy," as they read books. Of course he happily obliged, but didn't realize that he had fallen asleep while reading. We both thought it was the sweetest thing and thinking about it still makes my heart burst. Emerson is talking and running around and just so big acting, but then he cuddles up to you, falls asleep, and it makes me realize that he is still just a tiny little boy, so in need of our love, attention, help, affirmation, and discipline. What a hard job it is to know how to parent, but what a rewarding job. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.


And yes, those are three baskets overflowing with clean laundry that is [and has been] waiting [a week] to be folded. Real life, people. Real life. 

Once Oliver was down I took said laundry baskets downstairs to fold while I watched a show. I cleaned up the dinner dishes. And then I plopped on the couch. Whew. Before it got too late I painted my nails and, of course, as I was waiting for it to dry, Oliver woke up. He hasn't done that in a while but he would not stay asleep last night. 

Why can't babies just figure out how to fall asleep and stay asleep? Sheesh. 

I hope you all had a lovely weekend and enjoyed time with loved ones! I'll be back tomorrow with an update on my little seven month old little man. 



3 comments:

Sparkles and Lattes said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. I love going to Target. And I know there are a lot of yummy gluten free cake recipes out there. I will ask around. We had gluten free cupcakes at a kids birthday party this weekend. How did yours taste?

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Looks like a great weekend! And I'm doing the same thing right now in our kitchen (and well, our whole house)... I have the purging, rearranging, and organizing bug and it feels GREAT to get stuff cleaned out. Only problem is that it's going to take forever to do the whole house!

Amy said...

That's a pretty cool light saber! Cash can't get enough light sabers & superheroes. Oliver is such a happy baby. Our little boys need to get it together with their sleeping, hey Mama?