Friday, January 15, 2016

some Friday things

It's Friday! And all the babies are cutting their naps extra short today. So, I'll get right to it.

one // baby sleep. 
For quite a while now, I'll lay Oliver down for the night, leave the room, and sit down to do something - only to hear him start crying about five or so minutes later. I've usually let him cry for a little while [think 5-10 minutes] then I go in, pat him, reassure him, he calms down [maybe even falls back asleep], and I leave. Five minutes later, he starts crying. Again. And so the cycle goes. And ohmygoodness. It's exhausting! For him. For me. For Landon. The poor sweet baby needs to learn how to fall asleep and stay asleep. And so last night, I let him cry and cry and cry. It was horrible. I hated it. But I also know we just can't go on living/sleeping like we have been. I'm hoping he remembers come tonight and just nods off and then stays asleep. The bright side? He slept through the night last night [after finally falling asleep at 11:13] and didn't wake up until 7:40 this morning. So at least there's that. :)


two // birthday preparations 
Emerson will be turning three so very soon! It's just crazy that he's already been in our family for that long, though at the same time it the perfect amount of time. Since he's older this year and has more to say about what he likes and doesn't like, I've asked him what he wants his birthday cake to be. Nine times out of ten, he says the same thing. So, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to make for him. I'm a little anxious about actually trying my hand at it, but also very excited and am hoping it all turns out. This weekend I actually have to start working on his cake so it's ready for his "party" next weekend. We're not ones to go all out and have a big shindig for birthdays; we still with close family, cake, a few presents, and balloons [if I remember]. While I think birthday parties are fun and good, and I would love to put a little themed party together, it's just not in the cards for us [at least not right now].

three // name change?  
In general, I am a very indecisive person. There are some things I'm very decisive about - where the bowls should go in the dishwasher, where the meat/eggs/dairy goes in the fridge, how the blankets should lay on the couch . . . just call me a little OCD. But, with other things - shopping for clothes [or anything really], what restaurant we should go to, what I should wear any given day . . . I'm terrible at actually deciding. One thing I'm considering changing, since I also have issues sticking with my decisions, is the name of this blog. I want to change it, but at the same time - I don't. I've been blogging for a while and have already changed the blog name more than I ought to. But I just don't feel like this one is the right/best name for my blog. But, since I'm so indecisive, I'm sure that change won't happen. It's just something I think about.

four // Valentine's Day 
I'm glad this holiday falls in the middle of winter. It's something bright and cheerful to look forward to. I get that some people think it's a Hallmark holiday and all, and maybe it is, but I like it because it adds some color into the dreary days of winter. Even when I was single, I loved seeing pink and red hearts everywhere, forget having a Valentine, give me all the stationary and pretty hearts to look at and I'm a happy girl.


five // blank wall 
In our living room we have one really big wall and it is as bare and boring as can be. There is nothing on it, nothing to brighten it up or bring cheer into the living room. A big part of me wants to change that - soon. But the more practical side [and also Landon] of me doesn't think it makes sense to decorate it since we don't know how much longer we'll be in this house [it'll be more than a few months but not years]. So, to spend a little money and decorate or not to? That is the question.



And that's where I'll stop today. I hope you all have a happy weekend!




2 comments:

Little Bits of Joy Blog said...

You and I are on the same page with birthday parties.. and we are having parties the same weekend! good luck with yours! I did buy a few decorations... like a Happy Birthday banner, but that's about it. My kid's birthdays are really simple. I just don't have the energy at this point. :-) Good luck with sleep training!! I hope Oliver sleeps through the night tonight! That was one of my least favorite parts of the baby stage. Have a good weekend!

Callie said...

I totally agree on Valentine's Day! It's a nice break during these long winter months.