Tuesday, January 19, 2016

sprinkle cake & frosting [dairy free] : a recipe

The past few weekends I have been doing a lot of baking. In particular, birthday cake baking. Emerson's third birthday is coming up all too soon [how is that even possible?! He was just a tiny nugget!] and before I baked a cake and decorated it, I wanted to make sure it actually tasted good. So I've been experimenting and trying all of the recipes. This past weekend Emerson helped me make another cake and wanted to add sprinkles to it. Valentine's Day sprinkles to be precise. So it has become known as the "Balentine's cake" or sprinkle cake. We all tried it and agreed it was a winner [even Landon] and so I wanted to be sure to share it here  - in case you are looking for a good dairy free cake recipe. And also so I don't forget how I made it. Hah. 


While I was testing out cake recipes, I decided I also needed to make sure I had a good dairy free frosting option for the cake. So we also whipped up a dairy free frosting, that even has Landon singing it's praises. Dairy free cake and frosting for the win.


I found recipes for cake and frosting and after looking them over I changed them a bit because I just can't follow a recipe to a T, and to make them dairy free. There's always something small that needs changing or an ingredient I don't have/think would be better or am to lazy to do it the way it says. So, I just change it to my liking and hope for the best. This time it worked. 


Dairy Free Sprinkle Cake 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup almond milk
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil - melted/room temperature
1/4 cup sprinkles

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two round cake pans; set aside.

Combine almond milk, egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Mix until combined. Add coconut oil and mix until crumbly. Pour in the milk mixture. Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add sprinkles and gently fold them into the batter.

Pour batter evenly between two cake pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cakes are done when a toothpick or knife comes out clean from the center. Let cool. Remove cakes from pan and allow to cool a little longer. Once cakes are cool, top with your favorite frosting!




So simple and so easy! And the cake is so good. No one would ever guess it was dairy free. I'm sure it would be good if you added butter and real milk, but I like this one just as it is! 


Since I was trying out a new frosting recipe I wanted to be sure it was actually good before I used a whole bag of powdered sugar and all of my vegan butter. The frosting turned out really well and again, people probably wouldn't even guess it was dairy free. I was a little skeptical of how it would taste with a "fake butter", but it turned out really well and both the texture and taste were wonderful and frosting like. I made a smaller batch of frosting since I didn't want it to go to waste if it was bad, and it was just enough to cover the whole cake. Next time I make it I'll double it to allow for extra and for a little more frosting for in-between the cakes. 


Dairy free vanilla frosting 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup vegan butter [I used Earth Balance], softened
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
dash of salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons almond milk

Directions:
Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt, mix until creamed together. Add powdered sugar and start beating slowly [so the sugar doesn't fly everywhere]; once the sugar is incorporated, beat until well combined. Add almond milk and mix until smooth and creamy in texture. Top and frost your cake!  
 

The frosting is pretty much like any buttercream frosting you would find, only with the vegan butter and almond milk in place of the real stuff. Since starting the dairy free baking, I've used the fake butter in place or real butter for a few recipes - it did not turn out well. Which is why when it came to frosting I was skeptical about the substitution. However, in this case, it worked and it was delicious!

Now I just need to get working on the toppers for Emerson's birthday cake!

If you give this a try, you'll have to let me know how it turns out for you!

Happy Baking!


5 comments:

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

This looks so good. Now I'm off to bed to dream about cake :).

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

This looks so good. Now I'm off to bed to dream about cake :).

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

This sounds divine and it's soooo pretty! Crazy that it's dairy free!

Amy said...

Oh my word. That looks delish! Are you having a theme for Emerson's party?

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing!