Tuesday, February 23, 2016

bittersweet [a change]

If you've been around here for a while you probably know that I have the blessing of working at home. I get to spend my days with my little loves while also working and providing financial support for our family. It's pretty great. Sure there are rough days, but who doesn't have those? If you've been around for a while you'll also know that my job is babysitting. Since moving to Illinois I've been watching Bee during the school year as her mom is a teacher. It really couldn't have worked out better. She is just a few months younger than Emerson and they play so well together [most of the time ;]. They were both tiny babies when I started watching her and all they've really known is each other - every day Bee comes over in the morning and they play, run wild, read books, imagine, do puzzles, color, paint, squeal, laugh, cry, and talk all day long. It kind of makes my job easy [easier] since they are such good friends and play so well together. Although it can also make for some trying times because there are two of them and they're toddlers and sometimes things just don't go their way. But in general, it's good.


When they were babies [Emerson was six months and Bee was three months when she started here] it was a little crazy because they were both so entirely dependent on me for everything - food, clean diapers, play time, crafts, stories, "exercise"... anything and everything because they were babies. As they've gotten bigger they've become more independent. And now I just help them go potty, wash their hands, get their lunch ready, and make sure they don't bite the other's arm off or hit too hard if they disagree on something. And more, but you get the idea. It's been fun watching them grow up and it's crazy to think about how much they have grown and changed in the few years we've been here and I've been watching Bee. It's also crazy to watch Bee walk out to the car in the afternoons when her mom picks her up instead of being carried out in her baby carrier like when she was a little baby.



The plan was always for me to watch Bee until we moved or she started kindergarten, which ever came first [moving was our hope!]. At least, that was our plan. And I think it was her parent's plan too, until recently. Like I said, her mom is a teacher which is a huge blessing because it has allowed me to keep on the wonderful teacher/school year calendar [and have the same breaks as Landon]. And for other reasons too... But she's a teacher, and if you've ever taught or known a teacher I'm sure you know that a lot goes into teaching. It can be a hard and challenging job. It can also be pretty wonderful. Recently Bee's mom decided that her job wasn't so wonderful any more and made the decision to quit teaching and stay home with Bee. Can't say I blame her; it is after all the exact same thing I did when Emerson was born.


So come August, our days will look a lot different. They will be filled with a lot more boy and a lot less little girl. There will be no more built in friend that comes to play with Emerson every day and keep him busy and running around all day. Sure, Oliver will be here and I know they'll become great playmates, but Oliver can't play pretend like Bee can [yet] and he can't run around [yet - though I know he wants to] and Oliver's parents can't pay me like Bee's do [cause well, I am Oliver's parent ;]. It will be a big change - both in our day to day activities and in our budget. I know I'll enjoy spending more time with just Emerson and Oliver and not have to worry about getting us all ready by a certain time to welcome Bee in the mornings, and I know it will give me a lot more freedom as far as going out and doing things is concerned - go to the park? sure! go run some errands? okay! go to a playdate? why not? go to the library story hour? of course! But it will be different and I know it will be a sad day when Bee doesn't come play every day, especially for Emerson who asks if she's coming every. single. day.



So there's that. It's been in the works for a little while now, but it's official now. A bittersweet change.



8 comments:

Ashley Brickner said...

Aw, bittersweet for sure! I know she must be thrilled though!

Jessica (The Newly) said...

I know Bee's mom must be so excited to have the chance to stay home with her little one, but I know this change will require some adaptation on your part, and on Emerson's as well. It will be nice to have the freedom of just being with your own kids on the daily, but I definitely know that it can be scary when things like budgets have to change, etc. Hoping it all goes well!

Amy said...

Thank goodness for play dates! Hopefully, you'll still be able to have those once Bee's mom begins staying at home. Change is hard, no matter the type.

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Aw definitely bittersweet! I know the babies will miss each other! You guys will have to get together for play dates and then you can also have some good adult conversation while the kiddos play! Soak up these last few months with her!

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

So bittersweet. You guys will have to have plenty of play dates. They are just so sweet together.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

It's definitely bittersweet! I've watched quite a few kids regularly and there are still days when I miss them. They are so cute together! XOXO

Sparkles and Lattes said...

So sweet all those pictures of Bee and Emerson together. It will be a change that's for sure. I hope Emerson adjusts well. Bee is so adorable.

Laura said...

Change is rarely easy, and this sounds like it won't be the exception. E and B are just adorable. What a sweet little bond they have. Hopefully they can still have playdates together frequently!!