Wednesday, February 17, 2016

lemon poppy seed cookies :: a [dairy free] recipe



Sometimes I just need a cookie, ya know? I love chocolate chip cookies as much as the next person, but when you're dairy free it's a little more tricky to get those. Enter lemon poppy seed cookies. They aren't chocolate, not that I'm a huge lover of chocolate anyhow, but they are cookies and they are mighty tasty.

A little burst of fresh lemon zest. A little chewy. A little tiny crunch. Basically, the perfectly balanced cookie.



And so today I bring you the recipe for these little wonders. You're welcome.

Ingredients: 
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 TBLS lemon zest [one big lemon]
1/4 cup almond milk
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBLS poppy seeds



Directions: 
Mix oil and sugar together. Add lemon zest and milk. Beat until smooth. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet [lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat for easy removal]. Bake at 350 for 8-11 minutes.



These cookies couldn't be more simple to make. One of the best parts? They just get better with time. Bake a dozen, eat one or two, save the rest for later. As long as you store them in an air tight container, they'll last a while and maintain that perfect cookie texture - soft, chewy, crunchy. It really is like they just get better and better. They are one of two cookies that Landon says are almost better not fresh from the oven. Which is saying something.



They're a light and fresh cookie, prefect for Spring and Summer [or anytime really]. They've become one of my favorite cookies and I I love when I have some extra dough in the fridge so I can just plop some onto a cookie sheet for quick baking when I need a cookie.



And since I like to have the whole recipe together I thought you might too. Here you go:

Ingredients: 
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 TBLS lemon zest
1/4 cup almond milk
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBLS poppy seeds

Directions: 
Mix oil and sugar together. Add lemon zest and milk. Beat until smooth. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet [lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat for easy removal]. Bake at 350 for 8-11 minutes.



If you're looking for a new cookie to try, trying to think of a cookie to make for your friend who happens to be dairy free [or vegan], look no further! These cookies are all you need!

Happy Baking!




3 comments:

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

These look great! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

These look amazing! My grandmother loves lemon everything so I might make these for her birthday in March!

Amy said...

Oh my word! These look soooo good!