Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Oliver / 8 month update


Oliver,
Happy eight months to you! You continue to bring so much joy, laughter, and sweetness to our home. We all love you so very much and are so very thankful for you!


Right now, you love putting anything and everything into your mouth. Whatever you can get your little hands on goes straight to your mouth. There are a few things/toys you favor more than others: the llama [as seen in above picture], your bottle of lotion, a teething ring, and a teething monkey. You'll take anything else, but those are your favorites.


You love to be where I am, or at least in a room with other people. If you are left in the room by yourself for even a moment, you are not a happy camper. Not that it happens often any more, what with you being on the move and all. You are definitely a mama's boy. The other night Daddy got you out of bed and held you while I switched the laundry over [cause, yeah, you sleep in the laundry room.... we're awesome like that :} ]. When I got back in the room where you were sitting with Daddy, he told me that the whole time I was switching the laundry over you were craning your neck to see me. Then when that got you no where you basically turned your whole body so you'd be facing the door until I came back in. Silly boy. Not that I mind, I love that you love me and I know one day you will favor your daddy over me. As much as you like to be with me, you have done pretty well with going to your Bible class and to the nursery on Sundays. Hopefully that will continue.


You are learning so much these days and study whatever is nearby. Sometimes a toy or book might be across the room and I'll watch as your eyes study it and then as you finally roll your way over to get your little hands on said object. Rolling is still your main mode of getting around, though I know those days are extremely numbered. Boy, you want to crawl so badly! You'll get yourself up on your hands and knees and sometimes rock your body back and forth. Sometimes you'll manage to reach one little arm out, but then you collapse on the floor. It doesn't deter you at all, you're back at it within seconds, trying to get your limbs to move where you want to go. I know one day [very very very soon] you will be crawling all over the place and life as we know it will not be the same.

Even now, with your love or rolling around and checking out different places and things in the room, you have gotten to where you do not like hanging out in the bouncer while I fix meals. You do not like it at all, and oh how you let it be known. I hate that you cry, but sometimes when my hands messy from getting dinner ready, I just can't get you. The other night your cries were so desperate that I brought your pack n play into the kitchen so you could at least roll around a little bit and play with your toys while I got dinner ready. Our kitchen is tiny. But desperate times call for desperate measures. After a while of realizing that I wasn't going to hold you, you played happily in your pack n play while I finished dinner.


Speaking of food ... you are eating lunch and dinner with us now. For lunch you usually eat one jar [about four ounces] of fruits or veggies and for dinner you usually have two jars of food. I try and give you a good balance of fruits and veggies, but sometimes it's more of one than the other. You don't eat a lot of cereal, but you've had it and you'll eat it. You've had strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, green beans [which you hate], peas, carrots, prunes [thank goodness for prunes - they sure help your tummy], squash, and a bunch of other things I can't remember. I try to be diligent about introducing new things to you one at a time and writing down what I give you, but sometimes I forget to do that and then I can't remember if you've had blackberries yet or not. Fruits are your favor, and you like squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots, but the green veggies? Not so much. haha. You've eaten breakfast with us a few times and we'll start giving you breakfast more consistently here soon.

You're still nursing. Right now it's four times a day about every four hours, which is usually around 8, 12, 4, and 7:30. We've stopped nursing in the night when you wake up, but if you wake up around 4 or 5 I'll nurse you then and you'll sleep until 7 or so [usually].


Sleep has been pretty inconsistent lately. You've gotten better about taking consistent naps; one in the morning around 9:30 that's usually two hours long [give or take] and one in the afternoon around 1:40 that's usually one to two hours long. It really just depends. But now you at least stay asleep and get a nice little nap in which makes this mama pretty happy. Your afternoon nap coincides with your brother's nap and it's nice when you actually both sleep during that time [cause, sometimes that doesn't happen ... ]. You usually go down for the night around 7:40 or so, earlier if we can get you bathed and fed before then. You're pretty sleepy by 7 so I try and get you to bed as close to that as I can. You have gotten better about staying asleep after falling asleep and being in your bed [thank you!], but you still wake occasionally in the night. The past week or so you've been waking a lot and not wanting to sleep in your own bed. I think it's because you've been sick, you're cutting another tooth, and because you want so badly to crawl. But you know, it's not terrible, and I know this phase won't last forever. Right?


As far as some stats go: you're still wearing size 3 Pamper's Swaddlers and we still love them the most. You're still wearing size six month clothing with a few 3-6 months as well. Shoe size? I'm not sure, but I know I have a pair of 6-9 month shoes and they swamp your tiny feet. You don't wear shoes much, just lots of socks and slippers, so it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure what you weigh right now, but I'd venture to say anywhere from 17-20 pounds. And I have no clue how long you are. You have seven teeth and you like to bite! Thankfully it's not always when you're nursing? I think we've nipped that in the bud. You're working on an cutting another tooth - I see it just wanting to pop through, so basically you have a little mouth full of teeth. It's makes for a cute little smile and a painful bite.


You're still a happy little guy and you love to play, talk, and read [eat] books. It seems like you may have started to get a little more fussy lately though, but that's usually only when you don't have my full attention [ie. when I'm fixing a meal]. You're learning how to use your little voice with squeals, screeches, and other little sounds. Your Bible class teachers still tell me you are the happiest baby there and just so chill; it's nice to know you are a happy guy even when we're not at home. One of your favorite people is your big brother, you love watching him and laughing at his antics, he loves laughing at you and your antics as well. Sometimes he's a little rough with you, but he always means well and just wants to give you all the things [unless it's something he really wants, haha].


It is such a joy to watch you grow, learn, and develop. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you bring so much love and laughter into our home. You are loved so very much, Oliver. I pray that you will always know that and that you will always know the love of Christ. My prayer for you is that you will always seek after and obey Him. Turn your eyes to Him and He will keep your paths straight. Oh how I pray this truth over you. You are a blessing little one and I love you so very much! Thanks for making me your mama and letting me love all over you and kiss and squish your sweet little baby body!

Love,
Mama



4 comments:

Ashley Brickner said...

His little smile melts me! CUTIE!

Courtney said...

I just adore little O! So many sweet and wonderful details about him!

Mabel has those farm animals too and she loves the llama too! :)

Laura said...

He is so cute! :)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Happy 8 months, sweet Oliver! He is going to cherish these posts when he's older. I wish that I had been blogging during my little ones' first years!