Wednesday, March 23, 2016

home sweet home

There really is no place like home. I've always been a homebody, but after having babies I think I'm even more of a homebody than ever before. It's always nice to go on little trips and go visit family and friends, but oh.my.goodness. with two [or one or three or more] littles in tow, it takes everything from you. Or at least from me. 


You may or may not have noticed my absence from this little space the last few days, if you did, thanks! If not, it's all good. The reason for the absence? We took a little trip to Kentucky to visit some family and then made a few stops on our way home because Landon had some meetings lined up. For a three and a half day long trip it took me a day and a half to get ready for it: do laundry, plan, pack... Because with littles in tow, you have to pack all the things: pack n play, sheets, extra sheets [because the one time you don't, there's throw up and extra wet diapers], blankets, towels, extra towels, laundry detergent, stain remover, food, snacks, drinks, sip cups, spoons, bibs, clothes, diapers, wipes... and the list goes on. You get the idea. And because there was uncertainty in the duration of our trip, I had to make sure to pack enough and then more just in case. Lugging all of the things in and out of my in-laws house and then two different hotels was quite the chore!


Not to mention the fact that sleep is basically nonexistent when we aren't home. Emerson has finally kind of gotten to a point that he'll sleep fairly well when we're not at home [thanks in large part to a new discovery I'll share more about later this week], but Oliver is at the age that his bed is the only place he'll sleep mostly well [and even that's a battle]. After Landon's meetings were over, we talked about staying an extra day to take the boys to the zoo and just explore the new place. And then bed time came. And then the middle of the night feeding followed. After eating, Oliver decided to party the rest of the night, so we decided at 3:07 in the morning we were leaving right away. We had to get home. So we drove all the day long to get home and get the boys in bed for a late bedtime. 


Thank goodness we did come home that day. It was the best night of sleep any of us had gotten since Thursday [which is too long to go with no sleep]. We put the boys to bed and they slept and dreamed their sweet dreams in their own beds. We did too. 

Why and how does a baby sleeping in their own bed make such a huge difference? How can they tell it's not their bed [okay, I probably know how, but still...]? Why won't they just sleep anyway? 


Now we're home again and it is so nice ... even if our house looks like our luggage exploded and is waiting to be put away - somewhere - sometime. I will take it. I will take it because I love a routine and consistency. I love happy boys that take naps and sleep well at night. I thrive in it and so do the boys. 


So, if we ever come to visit you, know that we really really love you! Traveling with littles is no simple feat. Which I'm sure you're aware of if you have one or more of your own. But really. I'm ready to never leave our house ever again. Kidding. Kind of. 


But, with all that goes along with traveling, it was nice to see family and do a little exploring as a family. I love that Emerson gets excited about seeing his GeGe and Poppy, Grammy and Papaw, and other family. I love that when we were pulling out of Landon's parents driveway, Emerson stretched his arms out towards their house screaming and crying, "Poppy! Poppy! Poppy! GeGe!" with big fat crocodile tears rolling down his checks, because that's how much he loves them. I love that while there he would wake up and ask to see Landon's Papaw and play with him. I love that Oliver was held and loved on constantly - and that he still wanted to be in my arms most of the time ;). I love that we are give sweet surprises. I love that we can sit and talk with Landon's parents and watch basketball [or rather, that Landon can watch all the basketball he wants :]. I love that memories are being made and that love is filling the house. I love that everyone at church comes to say hi and see us and the boys. I love that the great-grandparents come over to see the boys and have different meals with us. I love that Emerson gets to play with his Poppy and GeGe the whole time and that I don't have to worry about him getting enough play time/attention. 


So as much as a hassle planning, packing, driving, and sleeping can be, it is always wonderful to look back and know that fun was had and sweet memories were made. 

It is also always, so good to be home again. 



5 comments:

Sparkles and Lattes said...

It looks like it was a fun trip. And I did notice that you hadn't posted in awhile and I am glad things are ok. I am nervous about my travels with my girls in two weeks, but with your post I know more of what to pack and tips. So thanks!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Despite the stress and lack of sleep, I hope you had a lot of fun! XOXO

Amy said...

I'm glad everything is okay & that you were just out of town! If I didn't see s post from you tomorrow, I was going to email you. Haha! Hope Landon's meetings went okay!!

Courtney said...

You can't beat family visits! They can be so tiring but they're always SO worth it! :)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

These pictures are just so sweet! I'm glad that you guys had a safe trip, and I'm glad that you're back! I missed you!