Thursday, April 28, 2016

happy st. patrick's day cupcakes [a month late ;]

For each holiday that comes along, I like to try and do a little something to make it just a little extra special. I don't go all out and I don't decorate my house all crazy or cute [though sometimes I wish I could]. One thing I do try and do is to make a special little treat. So that's just what I did for St. Patrick's Day [and yes, I realize that holiday is in March and it's almost May]. 


Since I love baking and I love sweets, the obvious choice was to make cupcakes. To make them a little more festive for the holiday? Add a few drops of green food coloring and some gold sprinkles on top [you know, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?] and I called it good. I considered using rainbow sprinkles instead of gold ones, but I didn't have any on hand, so that wasn't really an option and I went with the fancier decor and used some gold.


The cupcakes were everything I was hoping they would and more. Light, fluffy, and addictive. One is hardly ever enough. How can you just eat one cupcake? Also, they are dairy free. So, that's a huge plus.


For these cupcakes I used the cake recipe I shared with you all a few months back [found here] and just omitted the sprinkles inside the cake batter. Though that would have been fun and if I'd had those aforementioned rainbow sprinkles on hand, they probably would have made their way into the batter. 


In case you don't feel like clicking back to the original recipe here it is with changes made for the cupcakes:

Dairy Free Cupcakes 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup almond milk
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil - melted/room temperature

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line cupcake tins with paper liner; set aside.

Combine almond milk, egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Mix until combined. Add coconut oil and mix until crumbly. Pour in the milk mixture. Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add sprinkles and gently fold them into the batter.

Pour batter evenly among the cupcake pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick or knife comes out clean from the center. Let cool. Remove from pan and allow to cool a little longer. Once cupcakes are cool, top with your favorite frosting and sprinkles!

*Of course you can use regular cow's milk too if you don't want/need it to be dairy free.


And because you need frosting for cupcakes, here's the frosting recipe I use:

Dairy free vanilla frosting 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup vegan butter [I used Earth Balance], softened
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
dash of salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons sweetened vanilla almond milk [or regular almond/soy/cashew/other non-dairy milk]

Directions:
Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt, mix until creamed together. Add powdered sugar and start beating slowly [so the sugar doesn't fly everywhere]; once the sugar is incorporated, beat until well combined. Add almond milk and mix until smooth and creamy in texture. Top and frost your cupcakes!

*Again, you can easily substitute regular butter for the vegan butter and cow's milk for the almond milk.


And of course, you don't have to have these pretties just for St. Patrick's day, any day of the year is a good day for cupcakes I say :)


Don't forget to enter the giveaway for PinkBlush! It's still open so make sure to enter!





2 comments:

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

These sound so yummy and they look so pretty!

Amy said...

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!