Wednesday, April 6, 2016

sprinkle cookies [a dairy free recipe]


Of all the things I love to bake, cookies are my favorite. I love to bake them. I love to eat them. I love to give them to people. I love to feed them to you if you come to my house. So the other day when we were invited to a friends house on short notice and I didn't have anything to take, I decided to make a batch of cookies. Obviously. Plus, I knew if I made them, they would be dairy free and I wanted to be sure to have a dessert option after dinner. Win win, right? 


Because I hadn't planned on making anything dessert wise, I looked through my pantry and fridge to see what ingredients I had and then I started looking for cookie recipes. I always love trying new recipes - especially for cookies, and I knew I wanted to take something light and yummy. When I saw a recipe for confetti cookies I knew that's what I was going to make. And thankfully just a few days prior, I had seen a bunch of sprinkles on sale at the store and I bought them even though I had no intention of using them any time soon. Thank goodness I did get them!


Usually I try to stick as closely as possible to a recipe the first go around, but this isn't always the case. I had to make a few minor adjustments while making these cookies, but I was really pleased with how they turned out in the end. Landon and Emerson would agree to that, as would the nearly empty plate of cookies I took to our friends house.


This is a dairy free cookie recipe. I'm all about finding more cookie options to add into my somewhat limited treat selection. You would never know these cookies were dairy free, that's how good they are. I kind of love the challenge of finding ways to make things dairy free. Sometimes it's an easier fix than others and sometimes not, but it's almost always good in the end.


Plus, you should know by now, if it's not good, I wouldn't be sharing it here.  I mean, these guys are just so good.


Sprinkle Cookies [a dairy free recipe]

Ingredients 
1 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 TBLS vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 TBLS corn starch
1 - 1 1/2 cups sprinkles

Directions 
Mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Preheat oven to 325. Scoop out small spoonfuls of dough, work into a ball shape and drop into the sprinkles. Once the dough is coated in sprinkles, put on a lined baking sheet. Repeat until the cookie sheet is full [12 cookies]. Bake for 16 minutes. Once the cookies have baked, let them rest on the cookie sheet for a minute, then move to a cooling rack. Yield: about 4 dozen cookies.

*Optional: Once the dough is made, let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two or put it in the freezer for a half hour so the dough is easier to mold and work with. If you're too impatient or don't have time to let the dough chill, it's still workable just a little more sticky.

recipe adapted from Sprinkled with Jules 


There you have it! Of course, if you don't need these cookies to be dairy free you can use regular, unsalted butter. I'm sure they're delicious either way.


These cookies are light and fluffy, slightly crunchy, but perfectly soft and chewy in the middle. It's basically the perfect cookie. You can thank me later. Happy baking!



3 comments:

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

These look so yummy and I love that they're just COATED in sprinkles. My kiddos would love them!

Amy said...

Those look delicious & so springy!

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

These are so fun and girly! My little girls would LOVE them.