Wednesday, May 18, 2016

[dairy free] chocolate chip cookies [a recipe]

Some days you just need a good chocolate chip cookie. There's something so homey, so classic, so comforting about enjoying chocolate chip cookies. Maybe it's because growing up, it's one of the cookies my mom would make regularly. She was always baking cookies, and when we got old enough to help and then bake on our own, we did. One thing is certain though, there were always cookies to be snacked on. 


Even though Emerson is still little and Oliver is just a baby, I want my boys to grow up in a home where homemade cookies are always handy for a snack or special treat. I want them to remember that even at a young age, cookies existed. Obviously I have a deep love of cookies. That may or may not be a good thing.

Over the past ten or so months, I've been on a dairy free diet as Oliver has an allergy to milk protein. I cut out all dairy, including dairy in baked goods [crackers, chips, bread...]. It's changed my eating habits significantly as well as how and what I cook. In the beginning it was more of a challenge, but now there's nothing to it and preparing dinner or desserts that are dairy free is a breeze. If there's ever something that's not diary free, I like the challenge of finding a way to make it so [although there are some things that just can't be altered, like cheesecake].


Since going dairy free, it seems as though the stores I shop at have started to carry more dairy free options for things like coffee creamer, yogurt, and chocolate chips. When I first saw the chocolate chips I couldn't believe  my eyes. Every time I saw them at the store I kept telling myself I didn't need to get them, I'd done without for six months, I could continue without. But then one day they were on sale, so I threw a bag in my cart and went on my merry way. I waited for the perfect day to use them, and when I did I wondered why I'd waited so long. Chocolate chips are just good. Chocolate chip cookies are just wonderful.

One morning I decided I need to bake some cookies, I called Emerson into the kitchen to help me, though the little turd only lasted two minutes and then ran back in a few times to help dump things in the bowl. That morning, chocolate chip cookies just seemed right. So I altered a recipe and created my own little batch of goodness.


Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cups dairy free butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup + 2 TBLS brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips

Directions: 
Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Pour in vanilla and eggs and mix until smooth. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix ingredients together until well combined. Sprinkle chocolate chips in and carefully combine into the cookie dough mixture. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet [lined with silicone baking mat or parchment paper]. Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes, until puffy and just barely golden in color.


*Of course, if you don't need the cookies to be dairy free, use regular unsalted butter and [real] chocolate chips.





No comments: