Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Oliver / 11 month update

I can't even handle that you are 11 months old today, Oliver! In one month you will be one! One! Cue the waterworks. It is so hard to believe that it has been nearly one year since we welcomed you into this world and yet at the same time, it's not hard to believe at all. You are a true joy and delight and it's hard to remember what our family was like before you came along.

You are a babe on the move and will rarely be still for anything. Recently you graduated from army crawling everywhere [which I loved] to regular crawling. You're a speedy little nugget and can get anywhere you want to go. You always jump at the chance to crawl into the bathroom if the door is open, apparently it's pretty exciting in there. If something's in your way, you usually just crawl right on top of it. If it's too tall you'll go around or under or something. But one thing is for sure, when  you decide where you want to go, you go there and there is little that can stop you or your desire to be there. You're pulling up on anything and everything like a pro and sometimes you'll let go and stand on your own - for all of .0079 seconds. You can take your time standing, causing, and learning to walk. I know you'll learn one day and then there will really be no stopping you!


You like to be where I am and if I take a few steps to one side, you'll quickly follow and plant yourself at my feet, usually waiting for me to pick you up. If I walk to the other room for a minute, you're never far behind and I can usually peek around the corner and see your little self crawling to find me. When you see me, your eyes light up, you giggle, and then you book it to get to me even faster. A lot of our dinners are prepared with you at  my feet "helping", I wish I could pick you up and hold you all the while I get dinner ready, but it just doesn't always work that way.

Teething: This past month you popped a few more teeth through - your top left canine [around April 15 or so] and your top right first molar [on May 8]. Your top left first molar looks like it's going to cut through any day now, and I'm sure it's the reason [and that first molar] for some less than stellar naps and congestion. When it comes to cutting teeth, you mean business! On one of our many visits to the doctor, one of the doctors said that usually, it's four teeth by the first 15 months. Well, you my dear have gone above and beyond!

Sleep: As far as sleep goes, you're taking two naps a day. One in the morning around 9:30 and it usually lasts from 30-60 minutes. Though sometimes longer and sometimes it's nonexistent. Then you'll nap again around 1:30 for an hour or two. Though that varies from day to day too. Thankfully I've trained you to nap while Emerson and Bee take their afternoon naps, so Mama has a little bit of quite time too. Keep it up! And take as long of naps as you please. I usually try to have you in bed by 7:30, earlier if possible but it doesn't always work out that way. You usually wake up around 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Some mornings you'll wake at 5, nurse, and sleep for another hour or two. There really isn't a set time or pattern to you sleep. Over the last few weeks you have gotten better about sleeping through the night and have done it on a few occasions. Sometimes you'll sleep until 4:30 or 5 and then go back to sleep after nursing. I still consider that sleeping through the night. And since you have slept through the night more frequently as of late, I know that you'll be doing it more regularly soon [I hope ;].


Food/nursing: All of your meals now are finger foods, you'll let me spoon feed you sometimes, but not much. you prefer to get you hands [and face, arms, hair, and neck] nice and sticky from the food you eat. I love watching you see something you want on your tray and pick that one thing up, even if it may be surrounded by other food, you pick the one you want; your pincer grasp is very good! You eat a lot of vegetables and enjoy fruits mixed in every now and then. You're drinking from a sippy cup like a pro and love you some prune juice! It's a good thing too, your belly needs that fiber! I'm still trying to think of new foods to introduce to you and when I do, you generally like the new food. Some of your favorites are: sweet potato, squash, peas, Kix, waffle, cooked apple or pear, banana, and avocado. There are other foods you love too and some I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention. You tried hamburger for the first time the other night and ate all that was on your tray, maybe you'll be a meat lover like your daddy. Right now you're nursing twice a day, once in the morning when you wake up and once before bedtime. If you wake in the middle of the night you usually nurse then too, unless you're up around 11, then I just pat you back to sleep with no nursing. When you do nurse, it's pretty quick 20 minutes tops and you're done. You were nursing even quicker than that during the day, but I think you're still sleeping in the morning and of course you're sleepy at night, so that takes a bit longer. Not that I'm complaining, you're much faster than Emerson ever was!

Stats: Dressing you the past few weeks has been a challenge, the weather is so fickle these days, some days you need shorts it's so hot and other's you need to be bundled up in fleece pants and jackets with a hat and blanket if we go out. So you're just wearing whatever clothes we have for you and making it work. You're in some 6 month things, but mostly 9 month clothes all around right now. I'm not sure what size shoe you wear, but I got some crib shoes for you a month or so ago for 6-9 month, and they are huge on you! They just fall right off your feet anytime I put them on you. I'm afraid you won't get to wear them much because you'll probably be walking before your feet will fit in them. You're still wearing size 3 Pampers Swaddlers and probably will be for a while. I'd guess you're around 18 pounds, but I honestly have no idea. Who knows. You're head has grown since the fall, the little reindeer hat you've worn all winter isn't fitting as well as before, which is good I suppose. It's also good the warmer months are almost here so we don't have to worry about getting you a different one.


Playing: Right now you love playing with anything you can get your little hands on. You especially love finding cords and outlets to play with and opening drawers and cabinets. You love putting things inside of other things, like a little rubber duck inside a cup, then dumping the duck out, and doing it all over again. It's one of your favorite activities right now and will keep you busy for a long time. This morning you did that for 20 minutes, played with something else for a bit, and then dumped the duck out of the cup for another 20 minutes. That's a long time for you! I love watching you as you play because you are discovering and learning so much as you do it! You also love reading books. You'll sit in my lap and we'll read a few books together. You have a few favorites and you love turning the pages while we read.

It's so sweet watching your relationship with Emerson. He loves you and loves to give you toys, but you're only allowed to play with the toys he gives you. You're not so crazy about that idea and just want the toy you want even if he doesn't want you to have it, which makes for lots of lessons in sharing. You're already showing spunk in "fighting" back for your toy. If you have a toy or book and Emerson grabs it out of your hands you try and hold on to it sometimes and if/when he does take it from you, you cry. Poor peanut. He usually always wants whatever toy or book you crawled across the room to play with. But he does love you so much. He loves to open your door in the morning and squeal good morning to you. If you're still sleeping he always asks, "where Odada at?" You can make him laugh over the silliest things and he can make you giggle and bounce with excitement but just walking up the stairs together.


Favorites: bathtime, eating Puffs, crawling, exploring your little world, playing, reading, your mama, being outside, meal times, being held, being smothered in kisses, "running" away from me, pulling my hair [or any hair you can get your hands on - not my favorite!]. I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

Dislikes: being still for diaper changes, having your nose wiped, the nasal aspirator, being hungry, not getting what you want, when a toy or book is taken from you, not being held, having a dirty diaper.

Milestones: cutting two teeth, waving [and saying] bye, starting to sign "more" and "all done" - but it's not super clear.


Oliver, You are the happiest little baby ever and are content to go with the flow. You love your mama the most, though Daddy and Emerson come in right behind. You are such a blessing to our family and I am so very thankful I get to spend my days with you. Your sweet little personality is my favorite. I'm so thankful Jesus blessed us with you and I pray that you will always know the love of Christ, obey, and follow Him. Trust Him always, Oliver. He will direct your path. I love you little nugget!

Mama






6 comments:

Ashley Brickner said...

Oh he is so sweet! ONE! Cannot believe it!

Robyn Proctor said...

My son hates his nose being wiped, but loves for his mouth to be wiped. Go figure! I love the picture of his feet and hands, so sweet.

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

He is just so sweet! It's crazy that your next update will be for a one year old!

Amy said...

I can't believe that he will be one next month, Hannah! That is just beyond crazy to me! He is such a smiley little guy!

Courtney said...

I know you're only doing two sessions but 20 minutes is so long to me lol! Mabel eats in like, less than five. Both sides haha! But....she's still nursing like six times a day. So there ya go :p

These birthdays are so uncool! I'm not ready!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Happy 11 months, Oliver!