Thursday, July 28, 2016

Oliver's first birthday!

It's been well over a month since we celebrated Oliver's first birthday. Even though I wrote him a letter and shared an update on him, I never wrote about his birthday and I wanted to be sure I did that before he turned two. At the rate I'm going, if I didn't do it now it probably wouldn't have happened until then. 


We had a simple celebration, as we tend to do most of our celebrating. We spent the day at home complete with our usual naps and play and chores. For any on looker it would have seemed like any other normal day. But the whole day I kept thinking about how far we have come and how crazy it is that my baby is already one. 


While Oliver napped in the morning I made a batch of cupcakes to celebrate his special day that night after dinner. Emerson played and occasionally came in the kitchen to "help" me with cake and frosting.


That afternoon while both boys napped I was able to frost the cooled cupcakes and wrap the rest of Oliver's presents.


For Oliver's cake I went with a simple white cake and buttercream frosting [both dairy free and delicious] I couldn't have been happier with how they turned out.


After our dinner of waffles, blueberries, and bacon - Oliver's favorite meal, we gave him his special cupcake, sang to him, and had fun watching him figure out the cupcake thing.


At first he was a little unsure of what I put in front of him, but he touched the icing, tried it, and then went in for more. So very opposite of what Emerson did - that boy hardly touched his cake. It's so funny how they are so very different.


Oliver ate his entire cupcake and seemed to enjoy every little bite of it [a boy after his mama's heart ;].


Any time after that that I got the cupcakes out to have one he would reach his arms forward and "uh uhh uhh!" for one. haha. He liked the cake and I loved that he loved it.


Emerson enjoyed his cupcake too - only he just ate the topper [more on those another day ;] which is basically pure sugar and nothing more. So, that was great.




After dinner was over and I cleaned the kitchen up, we went upstairs so Oliver could open his birthday gifts! Emerson was more eager to open them than Oliver and had been waiting all day long for Oliver to open his presents. Which really translated to - him opening Oliver's presents. haha.


Not that Oliver seemed to notice or care. He opened/semi-opened a few of his gifts, but Emerson was the one tearing through them like wildfire. He'd pull the tissue paper out then rip out the gift from the bag, throw it to the side, and then start on the next one. That boy can open presents faster than I can sing the ABCs. Tornado I tell ya.


Of course Emerson felt as though all of the gifts were his and that they weren't really Oliver's to play with as he wanted. Thankfully Oliver is pretty chill and was willing to share his gifts. Most of them at least. Oliver got a lot of practical things, but a few books and a little Little People animal set were mixed in as well for fun. When he opened those Little People animals his face lit up like fireworks on the 4th of July. He was so excited. He hugged the box of animals close to him and danced with it. Once I was able to pry the box from his hands I had to make quick work to open it so he could actually hold the animals. Favorite toy by far.


It was a very simple and very sweet celebration. It was really perfect for the way our family does things. I'm so thankful for Oliver and still find it crazy to think that it's been over a year with him in our lives now. It seems so much longer and so much shorter all at the same time. And oh how I wish time would slow down so I always have these sweet little baby days with him.


Of course I had to get a picture with the birthday boy - don't tell anyone that this picture was taken the following morning! ;)





4 comments:

Amy said...

What a perfect low key day! It sire looks like Oliver enjoyed his cupcake! Your pictures are just great! So light & fresh!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

What a great day celebrating your sweet little man! Happy birthday to him again!

Sarah said...

Low key birthdays are the best! Happy birthday to Oliver!

Hall Around Texas said...

What a perfect day of celebrating! The photos are great!