Thursday, September 1, 2016

a weekend trip and a surprise

This week has been somewhat of an unusual one for us, hence the lack of posts around here. But I'm back into the swing of things [hopefully!] and hope to get back to regularly scheduled programing around here.

Last Wednesday I did all of our laundry and then I packed our things for a weekend at GeGe and Poppy's house. Thursday morning we packed the car, took Landon to campus, ran an errand or two, packed a few last things, fed the boys lunch, and then stopped to pick Landon up and headed for Kentucky, where we were going to visit family and see if I could hopefully have Lasik.

While there are centers that do Lasik closer to our home, we wanted to go to a chain since we will be moving. I looked at what Lasik centers are around us now, what will be near us in Kansas, and found one that is nearby us in Kansas and one that is close to where Landon's parents live. We decided to go there so they could keep the boys for us while we went to the eye doctor.

On our way to Landon's parents we stopped to do a little shopping at a Gap outlet store [more on that later ;] and grabbed some dinner at Chick-fil-a [or "chip-a-lay" as Emerson calls it]. We don't have one near us here, so it's a special treat to get to eat there and Emerson loves when we get to. He remembers that they have chicken nuggets [that he actually likes and eats!] and that there is a play place for him, which he also loves. It's nice for him to be able to run around and get some energy out while we travel.


After dinner we got the boys in the car one last time and drove the last 30 minutes or so to Landon's parent's house. It was past the bed time for the boys by the time we arrived at GeGe and Poppy's house, and they entertained the boys while we unloaded the car and got their beds and such set up for them. Thankfully they both went down to bed fairly well and slept well that night.


We spent Friday morning hanging out at the house, Landon's grandparents came over to see the boys and play with them, we went out for lunch with all of the grandparents, and then the boys took naps. After nap time I took the boys over to my sister's house so our kiddos cold play together. Emerson loooooves his cousin and they ran around the house chasing each other with dart guns and swords and other toys little boys love. Those two love.each.other. And I love watching them play. And it's also why there are no pictures of them - they ran the entire time they were together.


Celeste was going to come back to Landon's parent's house for dinner that evening so I could see her for even longer that day. We went outside to pick some tomatoes in the garden and while we were tomato picking a truck pulled up to her house. We walked over to see who it was and lo and behold - it was my parents! What?! I had no idea they were going to be coming in and it was a surprise to see them at her house. Crazy. Crazy. They ended up coming to dinner at Landon's parent's house too. Everyone knew but me, and since Lesa knew before hand she had prepared plenty of food for everyone. Apparently they thought it would be fun to surprise me? It was crazy to see my two worlds/families in the same place together. Aside from our wedding, there is only one other time I remember both of our parents being in the same place at the same time. It was a fun evening and a nice surprise to see my parents for a little bit. Though I told them they better not surprise me like that if/when they plan to come to my house ;)


We got the boys bathed [man, do little boys play hard!] and to bed and then after a while I went to sleep, full of nerves for the following day. I had an appointment at 9 in the morning and we had to leave by 7:30 to make it up there in time. In the morning I got ready and secretly hoped the boys would wake up so I could give them hugs and kisses before we left. I figured we wouldn't be back until dinner time and that was a long time for me to go without seeing them! Thankfully Emerson woke up and was upstairs a little before it was time for us to leave and Oliver started stirring and fussing right before we were about to walk out the door. I couldn't help myself and got him out of bed, even though I knew it would probably make the good-bye harder for him. I had to kiss his sweet little face!


Leaving only a little page with notes with Oliver's schedule and meal ideas and allergies, I left the boys and headed off to see about my eyes. I kissed Emerson and gave him a squeeze, not that he cared, he ran off to play with Poppy and probably didn't notice I was leaving or gone after I'd left. I gave Oliver a last little smooch on his soft cheek and then gave him to GeGe and walked towards the door, while he fussed after me and [thankfully] then calmed down while looking for the cows outside.  Of course I knew my boys would be well loved and looked after which made heading out a little easier.

Landon poked fun at me a little bit for having to get Oliver up that morning, but I was so glad I did because as it turned out, we were gone for a lot longer than either of us anticipated. ...But more on that later, it's a post all in its own.



2 comments:

Courtney said...

Abigail used to call it "chicken lay" lol. Too cute!

Amy said...

Awww!! What a great surprise!!