Thursday, September 15, 2016

seeing about having lasik

A week or so ago I shared about our little weekend trip to Landon's parent's house. It was a short weekend, packed full with lots of family and fun. We had gone to visit family, but we also had gone with the intention and hope of me getting Lasik. I had called several weeks in advance to see if it was possible to have a consultation and surgery the same day. The consultation is a must - they have to check your eyes in a hundred different ways, run tests, take pictures, dilate, and then check them all over again. Which is good since they're your eyes and they very well might laser them! Please, get it right. Supposing you're eyes are healthy enough and meet their criteria, you become a candidate and can have surgery.

I've worn glasses since I was eight and started wearing contacts when I was in high school, so I was excited about the possibility of being able to see on my own. I never thought I'd really go through with getting Lasik, because the process is a little bit terrifying, but I still really wanted it done. So after calling once to talk to them about it, calling back to make a same day consult and surgery appointment, and then calling again a few weeks later to confirm my appointment and contingent surgery, we went to Kentucky [so we could have family watch the boys the day of my appointment and hopeful surgery, see family, and be near a Lasik place].

They told me to stop wearing my contacts for one week before my appointment, I stopped wearing them a week and a half before my appointment. I wasn't going to take any chances, I wanted to make sure my eyes were good and healthy and back to their normal eye shape. And I'm so glad I did.

My appointment was at 9:00 on Saturday morning, we had to drive a little more than an hour to get there, so we got up early to leave. I didn't want to wake the boys before we left, and I wasn't about to, but I really wanted to see and hug them before we left because I knew we probably wouldn't be back until around dinner time. Thankfully Emerson woke up a little earlier that morning and right as I was getting my bag to walk out the door, Oliver stirred enough that I went and got him and gave him some hugs and kisses. I hugged Emerson and told him I was going to the doctor and then he ran off. ha. That boy didn't care, he was at Poppy and GeGe's house! I'm glad he was so excited to be there and distracted easily by them. Oliver was sad and cried and reached for me when I gave him to GeGe, but she took him to the window to look for cows and he calmed down before I walked out the door. SO thankful the boys were able to spend the day with Landon's parents and sisters.

We made it to the appointment with time to spare, Landon dropped me off and headed to work at a nearby coffee shop, and before too long of sitting and watching Frozen in the waiting room, I was taken back to start the process. They took pictures of my eyes, I looked at the hot air balloon [you know what I'm talking about if you've been to the eye doctor], I read the letter chart, I watched an informational video about Lasik, and met with an eye doctor. The eye doctor took my file for the surgeon to look at and decide if I was in fact a candidate or not. While he was doing that and after all of the tests were done, the lady who does the logistic part of the consult took me into a dark room [for the sake of my dilated eyes], and talked to me about the surgery and if I was a candidate or not. I figured I would be and was just going to talk about more of the actual surgery process and payment with her.

After a little chit chat, she went and got my chart and came back to tell me what the surgeon said. The surgeon said since I'd been in contacts for so long he wanted to wait and see my eyes out of them for a little bit longer so they could fully get back to their normal eye shape [who knew wearing contacts changed the shape of your eye so much?], maybe one or two weeks, before doing the surgery.

And my hopes fell to the floor.

Then the lady looked at my file and asked if my address was correct, since it was an Illinois address and I was in Kentucky. I explained my situation to her and she asked what I was going to do if I couldn't get the surgery that day. I didn't know, but told her it was unlikely that I'd be able to get it at all any time soon and would probably have to wait a few more years. I had texted Landon a little earlier and he came over to hear what she had to say and talk about our options. I still had to see the eye doctor one more time for her to check my dilated eyes. The consult lady said she would have the eye doctor talk with the surgeon one more time to see if I couldn't just go ahead with the surgery anyway - if my eyes were fine that day but he'd rather wait just to see my eyes in a few weeks.

I met with the eye doctor again and she did one last check of my eyes then went off to talk to the surgeon to see if my eyes weren't healthy enough and in good enough shape that day to have the surgery done that afternoon. Landon left and I sat in the room and just prayed that I would be able to have it done that day. The longer I sat there the more I knew that if I couldn't get it that day, it would be at least another year or two before we would look into it again, if at all.

After what seemed like forever, and once I was at peace about what may or may not happen that day, but also knowing I would be really disappointed if I couldn't have the surgery done that day, the consult lady came back in.


And I'll leave it there for now... It's a lot of words to read and no pictures ... so I'll save the rest for another day.





3 comments:

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Aaaahhhh such a cliffhanger! I'm dying to know what happened! I hope everything worked out for you!

Amy said...

Hannah! What happened?! Haha! Hope it worked out the way you wanted.

Sarah said...

Can't wait to find out what Happened! You are so brave for wanting lasik! I have horrible eyes but it terrifies me too much to do it!