Friday, November 18, 2016

I Said Yes [a book review]

I have a little confession . . .  I watch The Bachelor. Though, I must admit, it's a new thing. I started watching when I was nursing Oliver and had countless hours and nights of nursing and if I didn't want to fall asleep in the rocker I had to watch something [because when I nurse, there is nothing else I can do, like, I don't know how some moms read books - how do you hold a book and the baby? - or other such things] .... So I started watching The Bachelor after exhausting all of the other shows I liked to watch. We don't have cable, so I don't get to watch many shows, but we have an iPad and an app that lets us watch some shows. And so, at night and in the early morning hours, and during Emerson's nap time, I would prop up our little iPad so I could watch The Bachelor. It was Kaitlyn's season when I really started watching, and even then it was in the middle of the season. Thankfully I was able to go back and watch from the start of the season, you know, so I could catch up on all the drama and everything ;). I had seen like, the last two episodes of the season prior to hers [Sean?], but really only remember the guy in a barn and two girls all dressed up way too fancy to be in a barn and him telling one girl he didn't love her and the other girl he did in fact love her. But that's it.


It was kind of fun watching The Bachelorette and catching up on all the drama to see what was going on. Then I watched The Bachelor when that came on a few months later and then again I watched JoJo. Oh, JoJo... Anyhow. While I was watching I knew there had to be more to the story, because isn't there always something more than they show you? It was during this new season of watching the show that I saw Emily Maynard Johnson's book I Said Yes and was intrigued because I saw she had been on the show and thought she might share a little glimpse into the world of The Bachelor.

Emily starts her story sharing about her young life and troubles she went through, during this time she met a boy and after some time they fell in love and were going to get married. In a devastating accident, he is killed in a plane crash and afterwards she discovers she is pregnant. She goes on to share about how her world was forever changed and all of the struggles she went though. Eventually she became a contestant on The Bachelor and she shares some little inside bits which I found to be interesting. I was hoping she would share more on the behind the scenes for the show, but it's more than I knew so it was neat to at least read about that. I love those little glimpses into things like that and since we all know there's more to The Bachelor than what's shown on TV, I enjoyed reading about the goings on of the show. Her relationship from the show didn't last and after awhile she became The Bachelorette, again,  the relationship didn't work out. But from these experiences she shares how she developed a deep faith in Christ and how he worked in her life for good. I do feel like the writing is a bit elementary in that it's a very simple writing style and it's just her saying first this, then this, then that happened. Not that writing needs fluff, but this I found to be a little lacking. Wanting to know her story is what carried me through the book and she does have an interesting story to tell.

Though, this isn't a deep thinking book, it is entertaining, especially if you like The Bachelor. Plus it's an easy read and it's nice to have a simple entertaining book to read every now and again.





* I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review. This is my honest opinion. 

SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I love her and that book is in my Amazon wishlist! I was hoping to read about some behind the scenes stuff from the show, too!

Ashley Brickner said...

Love her (my friend lives near here and their kids go to preschool together!!!).