Thursday, December 15, 2016

bits of cheer [week 3]

It's hard to believe there is only one more full week until Christmas! Where oh where has the time gone?! There still so much I want to do before Christmas - all the festive crafts, bake Christmas cookies, wrap the presents . . . that plus all the other usual day to day activities. How does this time of year get busier and busier and go by faster and faster each and every year?! I don't even know. All I can say is, I am enjoying every bit of it and soaking it all up [except for maybe all of the meltdowns, those I'd rather not relish in. haha]. 



Anyhow, I thought I'd share a little bit of cheer for this week. A few weeks ago I did my mama homework and found out when Santa would be visiting our town. I found he'd be around at a few different places and some that we could go visit him for free at. One of which was at a really pretty old theater in town. In fact, I discovered there was going to be a whole afternoon of it - a Christmas movie: "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", pictures with Santa, and a trolley ride around downtown! So much fun, right?! Well, we didn't go to the movie because it was right during nap time and also because it would have scared Emerson to bits, it was the one with real people and well, Emerson is terrified of the big bad wolf in Super Why ... so yeah, we skipped that. But I saw Santa would still be there until 5 that evening and that we wouldn't have to pay, I planned for a little visit with him right away.  


We had a fairly normal morning and after the boys woke up from their nap that afternoon I threw our coats in the car and away we went. Santa's visit was over at 5 and we got there around 4:20, so plenty of time, right?! Well, there was not a soul around when we got there. There was ample parking [what?!] and no line or workers around when we went inside the theater. Landon and I looked at each other hoping Santa was still there and kept telling Emerson, we think Santa will be here. We hope... 


Once we walked up the stairs we saw Santa sitting on his chair and a few helpers around. There was no line and we were in disbelief we could just walk right up and see him! 


The theater was absolutely beautiful, and after we saw Santa Emerson kept saying that we went to the North Pole to see him. I die. The boys got a nice little visit with him while I snapped a bunch of pictures in hopes of getting at least one good one.


Oliver was not the biggest fan, especially at first. He didn't outright scream and stiffen his body or anything, but he sure fussed and shed a few tears. The boy has severe separation anxiety - even if I'm a few steps away. haha. Emerson loved it and was more than happy to sit and talk with Santa though. It was so nice that we could have more of a lengthy visit with Santa and not be rushed in our picture taking or chat with him. He really loves Santa and I think it's the cutest.


Emerson was sure to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas and he walked away a happy boy. We headed to the bookshop afterwards so I could take something back really fast and decided to eat out at The Olive Garden on the spur of the moment. We had a gift card, so why not? I sure didn't feel like fixing dinner. We never eat out so it was a special little treat for all of us. Driving home we looked at lots of "gingerbread houses" as Emerson likes to call the houses with twinkle lights and decorations. He asked if we could make our house like a gingerbread house too, if only we could...

It was such a sweet way to spend the evening and I love that we got to go to the North Pole and have a leisurely visit with Santa.



SaveSave

2 comments:

Callie said...

They are so cute, I love these pictures! Isn't it insane how so many people charge to see Santa these days? We got some pictures taken for free in our little town, and they are supposed to be emailed to me, but I haven't received them yet! :-(

Amy said...

That set up is darling! I love the pictures! We were supposed to see Santa last Sunday, but we got a foot of snow. We are supposed to go tomorrow evening, but we are now in a Winter Storm Warning tomorrow afternoon into Saturday evening...ugh! I'm hoping we can go.