Friday, January 13, 2017

a sick week

This week has been spent at home. In fact, I've only been out of the house twice this week - once to take Emerson to the ER and the other time to go grocery shopping with the boys. If we weren't supposed to be getting a big ol winter storm this weekend, I wouldn't have even gone to the grocery store. Obviously, both were the best outings of my life. I kid, I kid. [warning: this is a post with mentions to vomit and such . . . don't say I didn't warn you . . . ] 

On Sunday night around 1:30 or so Emerson cried out that his tummy hurt. When I went in to check on him he just kept saying it over and over. I took him potty and had Landon fetch a bowl, just in case. I settled Emerson back into his bed and kissed him good-night. A few minutes later he cried for me again, when I went in his room to check on him again, and somewhere in there, he threw up. So so much. It was awful. And then a little bit more a few minutes later. Thankfully Landon was home and was willing to help, vomit and I don't get along at all, so I eagerly took him up on his offer to clean up and sleep with Emerson the rest of the night. 

Monday morning came and Emerson laid in bed all day long. He didn't move at all unless I carried him to a new spot, he hardly even talked. Which for him is so so unusual, the boy felt bad. He camped out on our bed until after lunch time, watching shows and sleeping off and on. I moved him to his bedroom for nap time and thankfully he took a good long nap. When it was time to fix dinner I carried him to the couch downstairs so I could keep an eye on him while I fed Oliver and fixed dinner. 

He cried a few times during the night, but was only sick a little bit one more time. Tuesday he was a little more peppy and he at least talked and asked me questions, but he still laid in bed or on the couch all day long. Oliver joined in the Paw Patrol watching and we all got some quality cuddle time that morning.

Even though Emerson wasn't eating anything, he was drinking a little bit of water and some blue gatorade. A few hours after the boys had been in bed, Emerson cried for me and told me that his tummy hurt. He was wide awake because he felt so bad. I didn't know what to do for him and hated that I couldn't make him feel better. As I was in his room with him rubbing his back and praying over him, he got sick again. Really really sick, except, there was nothing for him to give up because he had hardly had any liquids and had eaten nothing for over two days. He had one of the longest dry heaving episodes and it was horrible. Landon came in after a while and cleaned what little cleaning the bowl needed for me. I decided to call the nurse to see what we should do for him. While I was giving her the run down and answering all of her questions, Emerson had another horrible dry heaving episode. The poor sweet boy.

It was at that point the nurse advised me to take him to the ER, she said she didn't like how he wasn't sleeping because of the pain and how he was only throwing up. I grabbed our coats and took him to the ER [why do they have to be the sickest at night with the doctor and urgent care is closed?!?]. We got there around 11:30 and waited for two hours before we were taken back to a room. We waited longer for the doctor to come in and check on him. It was a long night. And Emerson never fell asleep once. Around 2:30 he was finally given some medication and a little while later the doctor brought him a popsicle, I was so grateful when he ate all of his double popsicle and even more so that he was able to keep it down. Soon after he finished his midnight treat, he fell asleep. Deep, deep sleep. The doctor came to check on him and our talking didn't even wake him. We were finally given the okay to go home, I got us ready and headed home. By the time we got home it was 3:45, I got Emerson tucked into his bed and then noticed that it was 4 o'clock when I finally laid down for the night.  

Thankfully Landon had moved some of his meetings around the night before when I took Emerson to the ER and when Oliver woke up a few hours later he took him and got him breakfast so I could get a little more sleep. I could have slept all day, but I heard them in the kitchen and knew Landon had to work, so I got myself ready and took over my parenting duties once again. I'm not a napper, but when the boys were both napping that afternoon, I just let myself fall asleep while on the couch, and oh how refreshed I felt afterwards. It was the perfect nap. Lamp light, a show on in the background, cold wind blowing strong outside. Per-fect.

We've stayed home and watched more shows than is probably healthy, but hey, you do what you have to, right? We've read books, eaten popsicles, and eventually played a little bit. I knew Emerson was on the mend when he started crying over a toy that Oliver had - even though he wasn't playing with it at the time and was playing with toys of his own. Now I'm just praying that the worst is behind us and that Oliver doesn't catch whatever Emerson had!  

So that's what I've been up to this week. Hopefully we'll have a less eventual one next week and can properly celebrate our soon to be four year old!! Oh my goodness, how is he almost four?! 

Happy weekend to you! I hope you stay warm and cozy. 

1 comment:

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Oh Hannah, I hope that everyone is on the mend now! What a terrible week! It's always the absolute worst when your babies are sick.