Wednesday, January 25, 2017

these are the days

The other night I was fixing dinner [or lunch or maybe I was cleaning up from one of those meals?] and as I looked out into the living room to check on the boys I was overwhelmed with what an absolutely sweet moment it was. The sky was grey and overcast, the wind was howling outside. But inside? Two lamps were lit in the living room, two little boys were playing and reading books, and there was probably a show on in the background. We were warm and cozy and safe. Nobody needed me, they were content in their own little worlds and I was able to get some food ready or cleaned up, which ever it was.


Two minutes later the littlest came toddling into the kitchen, wanting me to hold him, to read with him, and play kitchen with him. A minute later the oldest hollered that he needed something and well, after that our house wasn't as quiet and peaceful. And even though the minutes that followed that peaceful moment were not as calm and were a little more hectic, they were still moments I had with my boys.

Some days the time just seems to tick tock on forever and a day. Some days seem to never end. Some minutes seem to be the longest minutes ever. But they're not. They are fleeting. In the morning when I wake the next day, the boys are one day older - as am I - they are doing some new trick or telling some new joke. They are one day closer to being completely independent of me.

Sure there are times that I cannot wait for those days of independence to come, like when we hang out in the bathroom for 40 minutes waiting for someone to be done on the big potty . . .  or when there are whines of, "but I can't do it!" over and over about something has been done independently countless times before. But I know that all too soon, those same days of wanting to play with me will be gone and I'll be wishing the long trips in the bathroom back again.

Time, you are a cruel one.

So I try to take the bad with the good and I try to make the bad into the good. Because if one thing is true, it's that these are the days that are best gifts of my life.



SaveSave

4 comments:

Callie said...

This is such a lovely reminder! Thank you. :-)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

So true, Hannah! this has been a rough week for me, but I keep telling myself that I'm going to miss it one day. And it will come all too soon.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love this post! These moments are so fleeting. XOXO

Laura Marie Keenan said...

Oh this post just gave me all the warm & fuzzies!