Thursday, March 9, 2017

a look back at February [part 1]

Hello friends! It has been too long. I didn't realize just how long until a friend pointed it out to me this morning. Anyhow, we have been keeping busy this past month or so and after thinking about it, I decided it was full of things I would really like to remember. Since that's the point of this blog I figured I should share about our little happenings before they're too long gone and forgotten. So, here we go, a little life lately post to give a short update. 

This winter has been so blah. It's been super mild for the most part, which I suppose is nice for most, but I like snow when it's cold and we haven't had much of it at all this year. So it was a nice little surprise when we had a decent snow fall in the beginning of February. I bundled the boys up after nap time and we headed outside for some play time. It may have only lasted ten minutes or less, but it was fun just the same. 


We also made a trip to Kansas. Landon had some meetings he had to attend, and since we knew we'd have to go out there in a month or so anyhow to look at houses, we decided it made the most sense for all of us to go when he had his meetings and just look at houses then. So I spent the week before our travels packing and organizing things to get ready, because it does take a week for me to get us all ready for a long trip like that.

The first two days of our trip we stopped in a town not too far from where we were headed for Landon to attend some meetings. It just so happens, that the little town was the very same one I have my first memories from and some family friends still live there. So while Landon was at meetings all day, I took the boys to a farm I used to play at all the time when I was their age. I hadn't been there in about 12 years, and a lot has changed and developed in the area. It was a fun way to spend the morning and I'm so thankful it worked out for me to see old family friends. We moved from that home when I was about four and apparently I clung to my mom's friend's leg crying to stay with her and not let me go with my family. I guess I didn't want to move? That was the very lady we spent the morning with and it was so nice.  The boys were able to play with toys run around and we didn't feel trapped in a hotel room which was wonderful.

Before we met up with my friend, I needed to grab something at the grocery store and the boys were delighted to find amazing car shopping carts. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bulky to steer around the store as I anticipated. It's the little things ;)


Right around nap time we had to take Landon to another meeting, the boys had slept poorly the night before and I knew they were tired so thankfully they fell asleep in the car while taking him to his meeting. After we dropped him off I just drop the boys around town for a while, looking at this and that. I even stopped by my old house. I wasn't born in Kansas, but it's where I have my very first memories, and this little house was the first one I remember. I sent a picture to my older brother and sister and we had a nice little text chat about how much they loved that house and Kansas and for some reason that was just really special to me. I'm glad I was able to find our house and send them a little memory. 


It just so happened to be Valentine's Day while we were there, so we celebrated in style, eating a picnic lunch in the hotel lobby to save some money. haha. I wouldn't have it any other way though. The boys got a little gift of stickers and coloring books and sunglasses. Big stuff I tell ya.


On Wednesday morning Landon had some meetings scheduled, but thankfully he had been able to reschedule them for the afternoon before because holy goodness sakes. Tuesday night was horrible. Emerson fell asleep after about an hour of whining, Oliver fell asleep after about two hours of fussing and crying. Then two hours later Oliver work up - not to sleep again. He wouldn't sleep in his bed, he wouldn't sleep in our bed, he wouldn't sleep in the chair with me. The boy would not sleep. After about two hours of me trying to get him to go back to sleep I woke Landon up to give it a try. He took turns with me for about an hour and Oliver still would not sleep. So at about three in the morning he called the hotel we were supposed to check in at later that afternoon and asked if we could have a very early check in. They agreed to it, and I have never packed our stuff so fast as I did that night. By the time Landon came back with the luggage cart, our bags were all packed we were ready to go. Thankfully the boys fell right to sleep in the car while we drove the hour to our next and final stop. We checked into the hotel around 5 that morning, in the hotel room we were exhausted but of course the boys were wide awake. Thank goodness for PBS and their sweet little shows. Oliver cuddled and watched/dozed while we lay on the beds to rest for a little while before having breakfast and Emerson was happy to watch the shows too. 


Landon had arranged for a few meetings on Wednesday morning in town, so after eating breakfast and getting ready for the day, the boys and I took Landon to yet another meeting and then we drove around town a little bit and stopped in at two preschools to check them out for Emerson in the Fall. I really just wanted to see the facility and meet the directors of the programs and was happy to be able to do that. I was hoping to visit one more preschool, but we ran out of time that morning, because we had to go meet Landon's parents who graciously agreed to come meet us in Kansas and watch the boys while we looked at houses. And oh, how very thankful were we for them doing that. We could have looked at houses with the boys... but oh my goodness, it would have been one hot mess. SO thankful for his parents coming to entertain the boys while we looked around. 


And I think I'll stop there for today. I have more to share about our trip and about house hunting, but that will need a post all of its own.

Happy Thursday to you all!





3 comments:

Ashley Brickner said...

The boys are so big! And adorable!!!! :)

Amy said...

Oh what a night, friend! I can't even imagine. I can't wait to hear about house hunting! What is the timeline that you guys are looking at?

Jillian said...

I've missed your blog posts and was excited to see a new one up today!