Wednesday, March 22, 2017

house hunting

I'm just going to pick up right where I left off as best I can ;)

The other day I mentioned we went to Kansas for a little trip last month. Landon had some meetings and we needed to look at houses anyway, so we decided to knock them both out at the same time. On Wednesday, once Landon was finished with his meetings and his parents were set up in the hotel rooms with the boys for nap time [because his parents came to help with the boys. bless them], we walked over to our realtor's office, which was just a block down the road from the hotel and our afternoon of house hunting began.

We were working with a husband and wife realtor team and that afternoon we met with the husband, Jim, he was the one I'd been talking with and emailing back and for about a month prior. Before meeting him I had looked at hundreds of houses online, and after picking out some "maybes" Landon looked with me and we talked about which houses we liked, loved, and were just a plain "no." The week before our trip to Kansas I emailed Jim a list with our favorite houses as well as houses we liked and wanted to see. In total, there were about a dozen houses to look at. My only request was to look at all of the houses on the list and look at them in proximity to the others so as to make quick work of the showings as possible. We were only going to be in town for a few days so we needed to be efficient with our time. After going over some paperwork in Jim's office we headed out to look at the houses we had only seen pictures of!


It's one thing to see pictures online of a house, it's another thing completely to walk through the house and get a feel for it. We were able to see about half of the houses that first afternoon and had picked out a few favorites to hold onto for the next day. In some houses we stayed longer than others, but in every house I tried to picture us there as a family and see our daily lives. My Bible study leader had told me when they bought their house it just, "felt like home," and I was kind of going off of what she said. Did this house feel like home? Could it be our forever home? Because my prayer is that the house we pick there, is the one we grow old in. Though we shall see, I suppose. It was a full afternoon of looking at houses and we had a favorite picked out by the end of it! That night Landon had another meeting, so the boys and I ate dinner with his parents and then went back to the hotel to get the boys in bed.

The following morning we met with Leslie, the wife of the team. Our day started bright and early after we had a little breakfast with the boys and then gave kisses good-bye. It was so good to know they were being well taken care of and loved while we were out and about. There happened to be a discovery museum right across the street from our hotel, and Jim had gotten passes for the boys and the grandparents to go see it. With their day planned, we headed off to start looking at more houses. Leslie showed us around town some more and of course took us to see the rest of the houses. There were so many good choices! We kept saying to each other how we didn't know how we were going to decide which house to pick! I was kind of really hoping that one house would just really pop and that would be it. But really, there were a lot of good choices and we felt that a number of them could have been home. So I really started praying about which house would be home. And the more we looked, the more we kept refining our top three list and the more we kept coming back to one house from the night before.


After looking at all of the houses on our list, we asked to go back to what I'll call the brown house, just to see it one more time. As we were looking around again, we just knew that was home. So we made plans with Leslie to break for lunch, go back to the hotel, and then once the boys were up from their nap, go back to the house to let the boys and Landon's parents see it. We got to the brown house a few minutes before Leslie that evening, so we were able to walk around outside for a little bit and meet one of the neighbors who happened to be outside with her twin nearly two year old boys. As it turns out, we have a lot in common - and that's just from chatting for a few minutes. Meeting her gave me hope and even more excitement for the brown house.


The brown house is a ranch style house, with a finished basement [because tornados], with a flat drive [because basketball], on nearly an acre of land -the majority of which is wooded, at the end of a cul-de-sac, towards the end of a neighborhood. It was everything we were only hoping to have in a home. Everything about the brown house was perfect. We absolutely loved the house.

So we decided the brown house was the one. There were two other top contenders, we always tried to keep just three favorites in the running, but the location and lot is what really made us fall in love with this house. This is the house I can see us growing old in, that I can picture the boys bringing their friends home to, celebrating their graduations in, coming home to with their brides, bringing their babies over to play, a house that could be our forever home, that Lord willing, we never have to move from. Gosh, that's a lot for a house to say. But it's the truth.

The brown house felt like home. 


And oh, how I can't wait to make our home in it. While I've never been homeless, I have been rootless, I've moved once every few years since before I can even remember. To settle down and stay in one home for always is my dream. If the Lord will allow it, I would love to always be at home in this house. 

While I'm enjoying our days here and now, making the most of them and trying to fill them with fun things for the boys, I am very much looking forward to moving and settling into our new home. Shoot, Oliver will get to sleep in a bedroom and not the laundry room, what's not to be excited about?! The next few months are going to be unusually crazy and busy, but I think they will be oh so good.

The rest of the story isn't as exciting, we put an offer in, there were a few counters [so nerve wracking!] but in the end, we got the brown house and are so very excited to make it home in just a few very short months!



7 comments:

Jillian said...

Yay!!!!! So exciting! It's great to have a place to call your own and to be able to dream what your settling down will look like! I'm so happy for you guys!

McKenzie Papenfuss said...

It looks beautiful! What wonderful memories your family will make!

Ashley Brickner said...

SO exciting!!!! Very happy for you!

Courtney said...

Congratulations, Hannah! That is SO exciting!

Do you mind me asking what town you will be in? (I can't remember!) It would be so fun to get together sometime when we're up in KC if we could manage it!

Amy said...

Your house looks like everything that I love & the land is perfect for Luke...room for 4 more? ;) Congratulations! Can't wait to see how you make it a home, which I have no doubt will be gorgeous. So happy for you!

Laura Darling said...

Congratulations on the brown house! Sounds like it will be an amazing place for your family!

Callie said...

How exciting! I am so excited you're moving to Kansas - you'll only be a few hours from me!