Monday, May 29, 2017

welcome home

Goodness gracious, it's been too long, am I right? But oh, the things that have been happening in our lives have kept us so very busy for longer than I realized. Thankfully things are calming down a bit more these days and life is resuming a somewhat more "normal" rhythm to it.

Today marks two weeks of living in Kansas. Two weeks! It's hard to believe that it's that long, but at the same time it kind of feels like a lot longer than that too. Makes sense? The first week went by in a flash and a blur and didn't feel very real since we were still very much unsettled, were busy unpacking, Landon's parents were here, and Landon was gone for most of that week. So in a big way, it only feels like life is just now really getting started here. The house is coming together a little more with every passing day and we just have one box left to unpack and that's in a room that is used the very least. I'm hoping by the end of this week I'll have that room completely finished, but I have to put some hard work in and get painting a piece of furniture before I can call that room finished.

The last month in particular has crazy busy and very unusual for us. I hate it for the boys, Oliver, in particular, because I really think it's thrown them off. The first week of May I was busy trying to get all of the last minute things packed before we went to visit family in Kentucky for about a week. During our stay in Kentucky, Landon went off to a conference in Arizona and the boys and I got lots of quality time with family. We picked Landon up from a nearby airport and then the four of us drove back to Illinois to finish getting the house packed.

You would think that my working packing things up for the past two months would leave us very little to do during our last two days in Champaign, but unfortunately I still had more to get done than I wanted to. We spent the next two days visiting with Emerson's best friend, going on last walks around the neighborhood, playing at our favorite park, cleaning out the fridge, and of course, packing all of the things. My hope had been that when the movers arrived on Sunday morning everything would be packed in a box. But that wasn't the case. We still had a few things more than I would have liked, but in the end I supposed it was just two big boxes that everything got thrown into. It wasn't that bad, just not what I had planned. The movers couldn't complain, they had plenty to work with while I finished the two boxes.

Sunday morning was busy, the movers arrived right on time, and oh, how thankful I was to have movers! There were four guys and they loaded our boxes in recored time - a mere two and a half hours! I was amazed. Unfortunately for them, only one was able to come unload in Kansas and had to pick up a temp for extra help. Two guys unloading takes a lot longer. But they still got it done before the end of the day then we waved him off with loads of thanks and a bag of snacks. We used Movers 4 Less and they were amazing. I would highly recommend them to anyone. They came and loaded the truck like experts, everything fit into their truck just perfectly. Then they took of for Kansas to unload in our new house the following day. There was no wait, there was no surprise price increase, they were incredible.

Once the movers were on their way, we stayed at the house just a little bit longer to get things cleaned up before heading out. The boys started to get antsy and it was nearing nap time, so I took them to Subway for lunch and we enjoyed a meal out while Landon stayed to finish cleaning the house. It was Mother's Day that Sunday, and I'll forever remember the busyness of it, and taking the boys to eat Subway, just the three of us. We rarely go out to eat and when we do it's all four of us, so it was a special treat. I didn't get any pictures, but there's one marked in my mind pretty well that I will always love. It didn't take too long to finish lunch, so we ordered Landon some food and took it back to the house for him, took one last look around, and then the boys and I headed for Kansas.

Landon left a while later and eventually caught up to us and we went the rest of the way together, stopping for a picnic dinner when it was apparent food was needed. The boys did amazing on the drive, they were mostly entertained by shows, movies, and snacks. I don't care - whatever makes them happy in the car, I will do. When we finally made it to the hotel in Kansas that night it was around 11:30, I had packed extremely lightly for us all so getting in the room was not a problem. I had packed the pack n play for Oliver, though in the end [as I had kind of thought might happen] we didn't even end up using it. Emerson had a "sleep oder" with Landon in one bed and Oliver ended up sleeping with me in the other bed. Though the sleep part of that night didn't happen until around 2:30 that morning. So that was fun.

A few hours later, Landon left for the walk through of the house while the boys and I stayed behind at the hotel to eat breakfast and clean up the room. We all went to closing at 8:30 with lots of snacks and suckers in tow. I'm not above bribery ;) Closing hardly took an hour and we were owners of our new house! On the way home - which is still kind of crazy to say - we stopped at the store to pick up some cleaning supplies.

I did a little quick cleaning and then the furniture guys arrived with our new furniture. As they pulled out of the house, the movers arrived, and it was a busy afternoon getting boxes and belongings where they needed to go. Oliver napped the entire time the movers were here, and Emerson yelled to get out of his room for about two hours before falling asleep on the floor right by his door. They were tired.

It was a whirl wind, but we made it and were so happy to be home.

I'll share more on what we've done since then over the next few weeks!


Courtney said...

So thankful you are HOME and getting settled! :)

Jillian said...

HOME SWEET HOME!!! Hope you post pics soon!!!

Amy said...

Congratulations my friend!!! Can't wait to see pictures of your new home! Welcome home!